InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
which model bb ? have thought of doing that upgrade on my in 180
It's the Bubble Blaster HY-2000s. I decided to put it in the sump, here is a pic after 5 minutes and the valve is fully open. I have it in 6.5 inches, I think I'm going to raise it to 5 inches.
DSC_6591.jpg

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
EXT-160 w/BB2000 update

Hi Guys
It's been a little while since I installed the BB2000 in my 160 and I believe she is fully broken in now. Here are a few pics, I just re-scaped and cleaned up my tank so I'm running her a little on the wet side. I'm glad I swapped out the sicce.:spin:

DSC_6593.jpg

DSC_6594.jpg

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I retired My EXT-160 and 30 gal sump from under the tank and installed a new 40 gallon breeder DIY sump/Fuge and installed a SRO XP-2000 next to the tank. Here are a few pics of her.

10 Minutes after power up.

48 hours later
DSC_6607.jpg

48 hours later
DSC_6624.jpg
DSC_6622.jpg
DSC_6623.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Just curious, how many of you look at the specs of the skimmer (specifically air intake) to determine what size tank/bioload that it can handle?

Do you guys go by manufacturer recommendations or user recommendations?

I know most companies overrate their skimmer because they can without any repercussions i.e. Seaclone 180 can handle up to a 180 gal tank...LOL.

I have a little formula that i made up which seems to be a pretty good indicator for what a skimmer can really handle. 1LPM = 10gallons of tank water. For example I use a Deltec MCE 500 on my nano which makes 5LPM of air making it good up to a 50gal tank.

Feel free to post any thoughts.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Just curious, how many of you look at the specs of the skimmer (specifically air intake) to determine what size tank/bioload that it can handle?

Do you guys go by manufacturer recommendations or user recommendations?

I know most companies overrate their skimmer because they can without any repercussions i.e. Seaclone 180 can handle up to a 180 gal tank...LOL.

I have a little formula that i made up which seems to be a pretty good indicator for what a skimmer can really handle. 1LPM = 10gallons of tank water. For example I use a Deltec MCE 500 on my nano which makes 5LPM of air making it good up to a 50gal tank.

Feel free to post any thoughts.
Product reviews by members & retailers and the air numbers.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Awesome skimmer guy... I'm getting an i-tech 100 for my 90g tank.. I haven't had a skimmer in my tank for close to 4 yrs, kinda left the hobby for a while, ;)
As i didn't have any corals, only 3 tiny fishes..

So i hope this new skimmer will get my system up to par to keep corals.

Eagerly Waiting...

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Tom, while I don't have any first hand experience with i-tech skimmers, it seems like a good choice based upon user reviews and specs. However, I would go with the i-200 for your 90gal. The 100 draws 400lph while the 200 is @900lph. My nano skimmer pulls more air than the 100...LOL

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Tom, while I don't have any first hand experience with i-tech skimmers, it seems like a good choice based upon user reviews and specs. However, I would go with the i-200 for your 90gal. The 100 draws 400lph while the 200 is @900lph. My nano skimmer pulls more air than the 100...LOL

DOH!!! I should have gotten the 200 instead then.. Maybe i can use it for my nano tank later, trying to get 24" cube for my place. But need to find a tank first, hehe.. I will post some nog shot when i get it.. I need to follow ur foot step in getting a better and better skimmer..

mrkookm

Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The I-tech will be sufficient for your 90gal+ some. Here's a tank that received Jan 2009 TOTM who is still using the 'old' I-Tech 100 on about 140~150gals total water volume. If he can do it with this supposedly small skimmer then you definitely have no worries :) No need for the 200.

FTS1.jpg

FTS2.jpg

FTS3.jpg

Skim1.jpg

skim2.jpg

skim3.jpg

Last edited:

mrkookm

Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My I-tech 200 for a 135gal (125 actual), 40gal (26.5actual) sump, 10gal (2gal actual) RDSB + 5~6gal in pipes, chiller, UV and BRS reactors.

No action yet but that's coming soon.

itech200.jpg

itech200.jpg

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
nice setup crammed into that space!
coming up off the pump, you may not want to head into that "T" from the bottom as it will increase your head pressure. Might be better off going in from one end, and let it flow through it with a leg off to a side.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
mrkookm, he does weekly water changes on that system. That guy is a maintenance freak:D After a while keeping a tank with a high maintenance level becomes a real burden. I love that tank btw ;)
The waste must be exported somehow because that skimmer is too small for that tank IMO.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: