Rating - 100%
64   0   0
jackson6745 said:
i thought it would be cool to post pics of your skimmer in action so all our members can see it's performance to help make a decision on what skimmer is right for their needs. Please list a brief description of the skimmer and the pros and cons of its use.

do not post unless you have pics of your skimmer in action
:biggrin:

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
As for me, I just bought a Warner Marine K2. This will be the 3rd Warner Marine skimmer I've owned. What can I say? I love them. :lol2:

OMG My K2 rips! I bought one on NyReefNoob's recommendation as I wanted something as a backup for my Alpha Cone 170... installed the K2, and now the AC170 is the backup :D

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
now i'm reading and looking at everyones skimmers and i am more confused than ever. i am looking for a good inexpensive skimmer for a 240 gallon which i will place in my 125 gallon sump. i was looking at reef octopus but i havent seen anyone recommend them yet. so now i am even more confused. somebody please help me

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
b-ridge, what's your budget? that will help us out. This thread has lots of great information but a lot of it is from a few years ago. There are tons of new, excellent skimmers out there.

Generally, Octo's are good skimmers, but you want to look at either the Super Reef Octopus (SRO) models or the newer XP models. Try to get a newer Sicce or Bubble Blaster pump if you go the Octo way.

So far Tunze has been my favorite skimmer pump brand.

Thavngr98

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have a 90 gallon with 20 sump. I have a small foot print for a skimmer. the max I can do is 10x9x22-23 my water depth is about 9-9 1/2 I had ordered a SWC but since I found out about the smuggling conviction I cancelled it. I also looked at the reef octo extreme 160 but its sold out at all the normal places I shop at online. Do any places sell this local (LI)? Any other recommendations will be considered $300 is the max Id like to spend

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Good move skipping the swc. Especially with the recent events.
Take a look at the SRO space saver models, as they have the pump under the skimmer. Bubble king minis have a small footprint and work well, but they're $$$

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Most skimemers use a depth of about 7-8 inches. You might have to raise the skimmer up regardless of which one you pick. Also think about an external skimmer (these can be used internally as well)

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Yes, a skimmer can definitely be too powerful. I'm not familiar with that particular model/brand really so I can't comment on how it will perform on your system.
If you find you can't keep a foam head and it's not as productive as it used to be, your skimmer is probably oversized for your bioload.

rsvale112

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The skimmer is rated for 3000 gallons... I didn't know the thing about the foam, that makes sense that the foam isn't as high as it use to be and the tanks are still hooked up together but half the fish their use to be are no longer in either tanks. I use to have a bumble bee grouper who was 2 feet in length. I'm not planning on crazy over stocking my tank so I think this might be too much.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Just got my super reef octopus 3000 today and it wasn't doing much in the first 2 hours off hook up but all I can say now is WOW. I don't know if if my other skimmer was to small or if the pump isn't up to par as the bubble blaster but this thing started foaming like I have never seen a skimmer foam before :) as of right now I am in love with this thing I will say more when this puppy breaks in

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Good move skipping the swc. Especially with the recent events.
Take a look at the SRO space saver models, as they have the pump under the skimmer. Bubble king minis have a small footprint and work well, but they're $$$

What's Matta with swc skimmers , I was about to trade my asm g3 for a swc 150 extreme .. Any comments ??

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
They were involved in some sort of illegal import

Yes....the owner was arrested for the above... Including live rock and clams (I think), and other livestock as well. Ive heard tons of complaints about his customer service and business practices also. Not exactly someone you want to support. Not to mention, the Atman pump is very cheap (I don't mean inexpensive, but cheap quality). Some have no problems, but lots have problems with the pumps. There are just so many other skimmers out there that are as good (and many are better), there's really no reason to go with SWC. IMO of course.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Reef octopus 3000

This thing is a beast. Running it dry skim and this is what i pulled in 48 hrs :)

Attachments

• skimmer2.JPG
    skimmer2.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 593

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes....the owner was arrested for the above... Including live rock and clams (I think), and other livestock as well. Ive heard tons of complaints about his customer service and business practices also. Not exactly someone you want to support.

He was (and still is I think) selling bootleg copies of my fully patented Majano Wand which he manufactures in China.

Here is my 5' venturi skimmer, call it what you like.

IMG_0460.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: