cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
IMO, from everything that I have seen, read, and heard, oversizing a cone skimmer is a huge mistake. Undersizing just a tad seems to be the better way to go with the cone design.

If it is oversized it will pull like crazy inthe beginning, but later it will not pull anything. simply put an oversized cone skimmer wont be consistant with pulling doc.

What's reasoning behind this logic?

If it pulls "stuff" when there is lots of "stuff", it should pull "stuff" whenever there is "stuff" in the water.

I am running the Alpha 200 on about 130 gallons of water, it pulls out a full cup of "stuff" every three days for the last 4.5 months or so. I know at least two people on this thread that don't believe in "over-skimming" :lol2:..

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i will be the first to sat a too big of skimmer is a waste, they wont run consistant, ive ran 3 skimmers on current system, vertex in 180 gen 2, er 180 and current is a dax ex 1 { yes i got a straight one } and the dax pulls more skimmate consistantly then either of the other too, i think having a skimmer in proper size for system works alot better then a oversized skimmer, your only going to pull x amount of stuff out reguardless how big of a skimmer you go

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just think overskimming doesnt give you consistancy. Just to say I dont overskim, doesnt mean to say I believe in underskimming either. As for the cone skimmer, the design and the technology behind the of skimmer allows for "underating" it and you will get a more consistant skimmate.

I keep things simple, if i dont need a 3x larger skimmer why buy one and waste the $, and the electric. Not to say I am a skimmer guru, just expressing my opinion to others, just as the aforementioned that have posted on the thread.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My Bermuda Aquatics 3C

Is my 3C emptied the cup a couple of days before the pic was taken. I love this skimmer. I set it low for the first week just to let it break in and then dialed it in over the next day and a half. Started to form a brown film from starting to skim above the water line on the 2nd or 3rd day I had it then set it to where its supposed to be and has been producing this amount of skimmate every couple of days. EXTREMELY easy to dial in one valve easy peezy lemon squeezy. Was a nice upgrade from my last

sdc10467l.jpg

Last edited:

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ASM G6x Monster Protein Skimmer

Just got her up & running today. This thing is a BEAST! Two Sedra 15000 pumps! It was producing skim mate within an hour! I dialed her back for some sludge. I'll see what happens over night. As you can see I had to remove a ceiling tile so she'd fit.

The only con is the dumb adjustable pipe. I don't mind adjusting it like that but one would have to have a sump the size of a swimming pool for it not to geyser all over your floor! I attached a hose to the stand pipe.

I may do that gate valve mod one day when I'm bored but only cause I'm bored. The way I have the skimmer set up the water level will always remain at 9 1/2 inches so I should only need to dajust when I want to go from dry to wet or vice versa.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 528
  • filter1.jpg
    filter1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 564
  • filter2.jpg
    filter2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 562

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
vertex gen3 in100 mini airstar driven

this has by far been the best skimmer for any of my tanks i've owned,

Attachments

• skimmer in100 airstar 001.jpg
    skimmer in100 airstar 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 574
  • skimmer in100 airstar 006.jpg
    skimmer in100 airstar 006.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 537
  • skimmer in100 airstar 014.jpg
    skimmer in100 airstar 014.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 763
  • skimmer in100 airstar 021.jpg
    skimmer in100 airstar 021.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 553

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: