waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know if this is the proper place for this thread but I thought I had to tell everyone how impressed I was with a LFS this past Thursday. I live near Atlantic City so I have only 1 LFS here that's OK, the guy is nice and informative but it's small, hardly any corals, and prices are high. So after hearing about Reefs to Reptiles in Ocean NJ I took the 75 mile trip up to see for myself. I had never been to Tropiquarium either so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. I first stopped at Tropiquarium. I have to say the display tanks are worth the trip! They are awesome! Really spectacular! Everyone on line always says how expensive Tropiquarium is but to be honest, most prices were right in line with what I have to pay down here, some even less. I saw a few nice things but figured I'd wait to see what Reefs to Reptiles had before buying anything. When I came out into Tropiquariums parking lot I started looking across route 35 to see where Reefs to Reptiles was and couldn't see anything. I asked THREE different persons in the lot and NOBODY ever heard of it! Finally I asked this nice couple walking out of Trop and they said, sure follow us, that's where we're headed. It was down the street a little further. I was amazed that people who worked right at the Staples across the street didn't even know it exsisted. Anyway, WOW! three awesome coral tanks filled with beautiful specimens! And Greg, the owner is fantastic! He took all the time in the world with me, explaining every coral and then he told me he'd frag anything I liked if I wanted a smaller piece! I got a Torch frag for 25 bucks that down where I live wouldn't be called a frag! It's sizable and beautiful! Down here they'd ask 55 bucks for this "frag"! Then I wanted a Yellow Tang. Guess what, a NICE size Tang for 25 bucks! Down here this fish, no lie, would cost $50 bucks, double the price. I also got a smaller neon green Torch frag. So many people complain about LFS I figured I had to give compliments where they're due. I will travel the 73 miles, pay the tolls and gas from now on. The selection is awesome, the prices are great and the owner was fantastic.

If this thread is in wrong place I apologize.

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Visited Reefs to Reptiles again today. I'm amazed! For a toal of $117 bucks I walked away with a huge Colt Coral, A green Kenya Tree Frag, 20 red legged hermit crabs, a Sea Hare and 20 Turbo snails! Gees! It is REALLY worth the trip. Anyone from MR that hasn't made the trip really should check Greg's store out.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Why is that? Care to elaborate?
you should dip any corals you get regardless where they come from, But I do know from my own personal experience that Greg does have faltworms in his tanks. I dip everything and I have seen the flatworms come off the corals. I have none in my tank thank god. Buy coral RX and use it according to the directions.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i have gotten almost all my corals from greg and never had any problems with pests.. he spends alot of time taking care of his systems and takes great pride in it.. when you go around saying people have pests in this hobby its like saying someone has herpes, it gets taken personal and can hurt new businesses.. and not all flatworms are bad.. but i have bought over 50 peices and abt 10 fish and have not had any issues with pests or fish illness like i have from the more expensive place across the street...
im not saying your lying, nor do i wanna get into a drawn out discussion abt it, just stating my experience and greg is a friend of mine.. thats all..

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
i have gotten almost all my corals from greg and never had any problems with pests.. he spends alot of time taking care of his systems and takes great pride in it.. when you go around saying people have pests in this hobby its like saying someone has herpes, it gets taken personal and can hurt new businesses.. and not all flatworms are bad.. but i have bought over 50 peices and abt 10 fish and have not had any issues with pests or fish illness like i have from the more expensive place across the street...
im not saying your lying, nor do i wanna get into a drawn out discussion abt it, just stating my experience and greg is a friend of mine.. thats all..
I'm not saying it to be mean and I'm not lying, I was in Gregs shop since day 1 when he was a few doors down. He dips all of his stuff and he runs his tank with Flatworm Exit, But still I have bought stuff and have had flatworms on it from his store. I have told him personally and the last SPS I bought from him he dipped in his store and I counted 5 flatworms that came off of it. Besides it doesn't matter which store it is, you should always dip any corals or rock going into your tank.

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I' ve never seen a flatworm on any coral I bought from Greg. He's the kind of guy that would TELL you he was having a problen anyway. I've had nothing but awesome experiences there and will continue to drive the 80 miles to get to his store and will buy no place else.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I visit Greg at least once a week sometime even 2 times depends on the wife and kids... But with the dipping of the coral you should do it dont matter where it is coming from him or any other store.. Greg will even tell you that.. Now with his coral I know for a fact that he uses RX coral dip on everything before he puts it in his tanks, and how I know this because Im the one dipping them (when Im there and he gets a shipment in) and then he puts them where he wants in the display tanks for selling.. He is a great guy and will help you in any way possible. He wont sell you a song and dance just to make a sale.... So if you want to meet a great guy get some new coral or frags and fish stop by and say hello... Tell him we all sent you!! LOL

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Trust me I have nothing but good things to say about Greg, But man just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have bought more corals from greg since the flatworm piece, I just make sure I dip them at his store and then when I get home. Better safe then sorry, and for all of you that forget, I was the very first person to mention Reef to Reptiles on here and how great of a guy Greg is and his prices. Still doesn't mean every single pest is killed off with a dip and that he has killed every pest in his tank. There are plenty of people that QT corals for their home up to 3 months, just to make sure they get rid of any pest.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You are 100% right and Im not saying it cant happen... Sometimes there are things the dip cant kill also. But yes DO DIP THE CORAL!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ill just say ive gotten all my coral from greg and havent dipped any of it and have been fine. only unexpected guests i get from him are always benificial snails, some sponge, and an awesome huge vermitid snail... definately worth the trip though

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: