fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Yeah but still on a laptop? I always have to dig and dig and dig to find an ATI of Nvidia chipset on a laptop. 90% of each major brand is intel shared memory chipsets. Usually when it's an ATI of Nvidia it jacks the price way up. Plus wattage and heat issues abound with using a non integrated chipset which I guess is why the laptop manufacturers are so keen on the integrated joints. Plus they're cheap I'm sure.

Didn't AMD buy ATI? I wonder when they will retool their foundry to make an integrated joint. An integrated ATI/AMD chip would be pretty hot. Ninentdo was making those (cell I think?) anyway Nintendo's foundry made vid and main processor on the same die. They shared the bus and memory and it worked for them. Plus it was cheap to do that way. I think it was game cube that had that. I dont' remember it might have been the one before it. I think Sony started to do it to or they were trying to anyway.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
My problem is what would you do with 256 megs? Game? On a laptop? LAME
Gaming on laptops sucks. LCDs suck for gaming, the keyboard sucks. You have to use a mouse which kind of defeats the whole laptop side of things.

I don't know I ran pirates on a 128 meg laptop and it ran well. That game had some seriously high requirements and it worked. (They've since been lowered from the original release)

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Actually gaming on laptops has come very far. 17" WS monitors mean bigger keyboards. and it's easy to get used to when ou are using a mouse and WASD :biggrin: It's nice to be able to game on the go if you need to.

AMD integrated systems should be along in the next few months they projected but I think it is more like a year or 2. CHeck out their website maybe you can find a few answers there.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Game on the go with a 17" screen! That's ridiculous! I had a 17" jammy once and it sucked. I don't know who's "lap" that would go a "top" but not mine. 17" jammys are huge heavy and where do you set that up to game? You need to take over an entire table. Plus the keyboard still sucks because you don't have the benefit of the number pad which many games use. The Fn number pad sucks.

I love laptops for their all in one nature but portability does come with a price. Winbook makes a desktop inside a laptop which is nice but they are HOT and heavy. I prefer a nice light 14 inch pimped out. Supposing you did have the hottest out their graphix card in a laptop, you're still dealing with sub par technology as far as bus goes and in display. LCDs just don't have the refresh rate to keep up with a higher end video card. What's the LCD max anyway? Certainly not in the 200+fps realm.

I'm sure 256megs in a laptop is nice. If you can find me one for $600 I'm game :)

cbrsorlo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
gaming on a lap top isnt that bad. I used to play WOW on my laptop but the video memory is only 128mb. thats why i pointed it out...

but like chief said ... good for school/work..

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
just picked up 2 Alienware mj 5550 laptops. They base price at 1k each. I kept one at the base model (bought it for my girl) and tricked out one for 2.5k Its a dual core 2.1 with an nvidia 7600 video card.

I have had a terrible experience with this company b4, but this time I think they nailed it.

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
well, they are dell owned, but I think that Alienware still is an independant company that does their own thing. I know because I had many blow outs with them in the past.

You know that clunky big 17" laptop they made with a p4 in it? I owned that one,,, I actually sent it back 4 times for repairs.

2 years later... the gave me a $5000 credit on heir website to buy whatever I wanted. I wound up buying those 2 laptops, a 24" dell monitor, linksys signal booster, alienware bag, games, accessories and more....

I hated these people, untill now. Now I am finally a satisfied customer, and their products have drastically improved. If its dell's mingeling that made this company better, then go dell!

BTW, I also own a Dell xps 710 quad core with an nvidia 8800 gtx and physics processor, and the new alienware laptops dont suck for gaming at all in comparison. I play Lord of the rings online on it at work, and it looks and runs great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: