janey

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Ok I'm installing a 20 amp Circuit Breaker
I just finished installing 2 reciprocals outlets

This one is on top of the ceiling , where i would plug in my lighting..
Just happen to have my water pipes next to it. gonna put a 4x4 in between . Just in case. SO now i just have to put the end wire to the 20 amp circuit onto panel board .
Letting my neighbor do that.. I'm scared of the panel. :shhh:

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
Gfis in moist areas tend to trip at times they are sensitive. If youre not home and it trips all your equipment would be off. If youre gone for long enough you can lose your livestock. Youre better off going with an afci (arc fault breaker) if youre worried about extra protection. Just my 2 cents.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Gfis in moist areas tend to trip at times they are sensitive. If youre not home and it trips all your equipment would be off. If youre gone for long enough you can lose your livestock. Youre better off going with an afci (arc fault breaker) if youre worried about extra protection. Just my 2 cents.
makes sense, but i never had a problem in 5 yrs.
what is is a afci?

trinimaddness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
sorry i didnt see that ....An Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) is a circuit breaker designed to prevent fires by detecting an unintended electrical arc and disconnecting the power before the arc starts a fire. An AFCI must distinguish between a harmless arc that occurs incidental to normal operation of switches, plugs and brushed motors and an undesirable arc that can occur, for example, in a lamp cord that has a broken conductor in the cord.AFCIs are designed to sense an arc, which is an electrical ?leak? caused when a hot wire touches a neutral or ground but doesn?t trigger the [FONT=inherit !important]breaker
[/FONT]

janey

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I put the black HOT wire on the Brass side and the Whites ( neutral) to the silver side.
The Pink cover plate which is the cieling Is where I'm gonna plug in my lights 2 175 watts Metal Hailde. So should i install a Gfi or a AFCI there too ?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
personally i would put a gfi, i have one on my tank outlet and one in my sump room. never had a problem. i have one in my bathroom my kids take 20 min scorching showers that their moisture every where the gfi never tripped, and it does work.
i think juggernaut is an electrician, but that is my experience. my hands are in the tank with those heaters and other pumps. i would have the light outlet protected also, some one on here recently dropped his light in the tank. if its the same line you can use the same gfi. jmo

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: