Status
Not open for further replies.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

This looks amazing and is a much more efficient and clean way of building an algae scrubber. I would like to get some pics of the new design, along with specs, as well as know when you will have them available to order.

Pax-Bellum LLC

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[I am mainly curious about " low rise heatink and xleds" What does this do to performance?]The heat sink is sized appropriately for these standard output led arrays. Still a blinding amount of light and the same led array used in the version at the recent frag swap at Pratt (pictured on this thread).

Last edited:

Pax-Bellum LLC

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks amazing and is a much more efficient and clean way of building an algae scrubber. I would like to get some pics of the new design, along with specs, as well as know when you will have them available to order.

We should have pics in the coming month, all of our machinery is dialed in a ready for production of the new models. Pics to come!

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i have 2 clams in my 180 and have been dosing the supplied iron for 6 months. no visible problems with the clams.

You're lucky but that is a ticking time bomb. Very little is conclusively known about pinched mantle disease but it seems to be a pathogen that is fuelled by iron. If you never add any more clams to your system and stay with the iron dosing you will be fine as it is obvious your existimg clams do not carry the problem. But if the next clam does it will wipe out the healthy ones too.

I would love to dose iron to supplement the green color in my SPS but can't risk it for this reason. My oldest baby maxima is 9 + months old and I hope to keep it thriving. The other baby maxima is 2+ months old.

Pax-Bellum LLC

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a scientific paper describing an experiment proving direct correlation between iron dosing and pinched mantle? I would be very interested to read it. I raised many clams while dosing iron and running Chaeto and never noticed iron dosing initiating pm.

It seems logical the demand for iron by the algae is already taxing the iron availability, so by dosing it I'm only keeping the level near natural levels. Iron also precipitates out of seawater quite rapidly with out a chelating agent.

I have also run our ARID reactors without dosing iron for long stretches and started again when I noticed the growth slowing or the dark green fading to lime green while nitrates, phosphate, potassium, boron... and all other water parameters were ideal.

It is good practice to listen to the Chaeto to tell you what and when to dose in addition to regular kit tests.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I raised many clams while dosing iron and running Chaeto and never noticed iron dosing initiating pm.

Didn't mean to de-rail your thread with this so my apologies. I am still learning about clam keeping myself.

But I never suggested that iron dosing initiates PM. Iron is a fuel for PM, caused by Perkinsus, that is dormant yet present in clams. Just like all fish have ICH but only some present symptoms while in others it stays dormant till the right catalyst presents itself. Having said that, not all clams have Perkinsus, and it is not an obligate parasite so it doesn't need a host to survive.

Abstract
A series of artificial microcosms was used to test the effect of clam density on benthic iron biogeochemistry and, subsequently, if the response of clam Ruditapes decussatus to infection with Perkinsus olseni, a common opportunistic parasite known to be iron dependent, was correlated with the dynamics of iron sediment pore waters within the chambers.
Link to report

Pax-Bellum LLC

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to apologize. I really just wanted to read up on it.

I've also come across statements that dosing lanthanum chloride or using excessive GFO and driving down phosphate to fast can initiate stress in the clam, giving the Perkinsus protozoa the opportunity to proliferate.

Interesting the paper you linked to discusses the clams ability to regulate internal bio-availability of iron to the protozoa.

Thanks for the info.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
No need to apologize. I really just wanted to read up on it.

I've also come across statements that dosing lanthanum chloride or using excessive GFO and driving down phosphate to fast can initiate stress in the clam, giving the Perkinsus protozoa the opportunity to proliferate.

Interesting the paper you linked to discusses the clams ability to regulate internal bio-availability of iron to the protozoa.

Thanks for the info.

I believe that the usage of GFO in PM cases is discussed back and forth because some claim the GFO which has iron fuels the disease and to use Aluminium based phosphate remover instead.

Many clams have been cured with a fresh water dip too.

Pax-Bellum LLC

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are hard at work producing parts and ironing out any bugs we come across in the process. The PB version will be available first since we are still waiting on components to arrive for the Enhanced versions led cooling system. Pictured are the flanges for the PB (round) and Enhanced version with easy grip and twist lid. The base on the Enhanced has the same profile.

Currently we are very busy setting up our work shop, building components, and working on setting up retailers to carry our ARID reactors. Our first retailer will be FishLife Aquariums LLC http://fishlifeaquariums.com/

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 768
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 793
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: