SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I wanted to remove this coral but it seems to be pretty well attached. I was just wondering if there’s anything in particular I can do to remove this.

Thanks

fd7dbcb2b147834d062966dbe7599839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Are you trying to remove it in 1 piece? If so then you would have to cut off with some rock.
Multiple pieces you could pry it off.

Looking to remove in as large a piece as possible but don’t really want to break away the rock. You think it’ll detach in chunks if I keep trying? I was trying to pry it off but nothing the parts that are flat on the rock didn’t seem to want to budge. Figured I’d ask before snapping the pieces that are hanging off the rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsouth

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do your best to remove it by hand/chisel and pull it in sheets while getting under it, maybe even use fishing line to pull from one side to another - as if you were cutting a block of clay with wire. If you don't care about the remainder of it and just want it "gone" - Cover it up with something and it will die off I'm sure (epoxy?)

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
if you want to kill it off, a high pH solution would burn it off instantly. Take baking soda, which is buffered to pH 8.0. Heat it in a pot on your stove, while stirring. Once the powder moves like a liquid and it starts flowing around the pot, it's ready and will reach a pH of 14 in water. mix a small amount in water and simply apply to the corals (including pesky aptasia) and instant kill. I use a syringe for aptasia, but for your purpose, you can spray/bush it on. Don't let the solution touch anything you want to keep.
I believe, without looking it up, sodium bicarbonate is becoming sodium carbonate (releasing H2 as gas or creating sodium hydroxide?) bah my HS chemistry was too long ago.

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
That coral took over the rock! Even if you can pry off some s chunks, there will be a lot that's attached to the rock and it will eventually grow out again. If u want to rid of this coral, best bet is to rid of the rock

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: