georgeuu

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 180 Oceanic. It has 2x1" overflows that I have teed into an 1 1/2" pipe. The pipe goes through the living room floor to my sump in the basement. The return is an Ampmaster 3000. My problem is the noise of the water dropping through the overflows. It sounds like a toilet that just keeps flushing. Does any one have any suggestions as to how to muffle this noise? I've tried sponge blocks on the overflows and while this helped a little, it is still too loud. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

George

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Georgeuu, do you have any kind of valve on the pipe leading from the overflow to the sump? The trick is to choke off this flow a little bit and allow the water to back up in the overflow just enough to cover the hole leading to the pipe. No more toilet bowl noises.

[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: minime ]</p>

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Brian's comment. That's what I did on my old tank when I had that problem.

You are changing it from "open channel flow" (With introduction of air) to "fully developed pipe flow" which doesn't entrain any air.

Just be careful not to back it up TOO far!!!

HTH
James

Philippe Dor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some gutter guard (plastic square mesh) and roll it to make a small sausisse (two layers will do) and stick into your overflow (3/4 in and 1/4 out) it will prevent noise and anything else getting stuck in your overflow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: