gasser

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jumping back in after 3 years away. To make a long story short, I had a terrible tank disaster while on vacation 4 summers ago. When I got home everything was dead in my 120 ga. reef tank that had been running for about 6 years. I'm now ready to start over. I have the tank, 120 gal. (4x2x2) with a corner overflow, the lighting set up for 3 MH and 2 florescents, I will need new bulbs. What I need help with are the bottom of the tank,(plenum or just deep sand). Also excellent skimmers. To have a Ca reactors, a sump. Which additives, size of sand and brand, ect. I would like to have a reef environment with live rock, soft and hard corals, a few fish, and a good clean up crew (snails, crabs, ect.). All help is welcomed. I want to do this right and if I need to spend a little extra to make this a great tank that's fine.
Thanks

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of resources on the www.reefs.org website that will help you in your quest to create a good reef tank. As for your questions, I'll answer them briefly here:

What I need help with are the bottom of the tank,(plenum or just deep sand).
Current thought is to just have a deep sand bed (3-5 inches deep) of fine grade araganite (oolitic grade) sand. This will create a zero nitrate environment (along with good rock) and provide a greater diversity of critters for the tank.

excellent skimmers
The skimmer debate will ramble on for the next century, but many people are now turning toward beckett based skimmers (high water flow injection mixes with air)... there are custom makers out there as well as commercial makers. See our sponsor list (give them a call for opinions) at http://www.reefs.org/sponsor.html

To have a Ca reactors, a sump. Which additives, size of sand and brand, ect.
I highly suggest going with a calcium reactor primarily, although if your evaporation rate is high, a nilsen reactor is a great supplement. Other than that, no additives (aside from food and water changes regularly) are needed. I have a 150 that has magnificent growth and color with just a calcium reactor.

Sounds like you have the right tools for the job and that you wanna do it right. If you need even more information, ask on the bulletin board or see the www.reefs.org main page for access to the chat room. There is almost always someone around willing to answer questions there realtime.

Good luck! Ask if you have questions!

Wade

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: