Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my light fixture in June 2007. The light is usually on from 9am to 9pm or 12 hours a day. (June 15th 2008 to be exact)

Questions is: When is it time to change the light bulb? I cannot notice any colour change perceptible to my eyes at least.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my light fixture in June 2007. The light is usually on from 9am to 9pm or 12 hours a day. (June 15th 2008 to be exact)

Questions is: When is it time to change the light bulb? I cannot notice any colour change perceptible to my eyes at least.

That should read June 15th 2007.....sorry

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Running your MH bulbs for 12 hours per day depletes the usable spectrum much faster than someone running the same bulb for 6 or 8 hours per day. Your usage is excessive and general lighting knowledge would say that your bulbs became MUCH less effective at about the 6 month mark.

Bottom line, I'd be replacing those bulbs right now. You've already used them for 2.5 months longer than we use bulbs on our propagation and display systems.....and we only run the MH bulbs for approx. 6-7 hours per day.

swimmer

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running your MH bulbs for 12 hours per day depletes the usable spectrum much faster than someone running the same bulb for 6 or 8 hours per day. Your usage is excessive and general lighting knowledge would say that your bulbs became MUCH less effective at about the 6 month mark.

Bottom line, I'd be replacing those bulbs right now. You've already used them for 2.5 months longer than we use bulbs on our propagation and display systems.....and we only run the MH bulbs for approx. 6-7 hours per day.

swimmer

Wow, ok thanks. i didnt know that. I thought we should have MH 'mimic' the photoperiod in the tropics. (Where I am from originally the sun rose at 6.30am and set about 6pm-of course that was 2 degrees from the equator)
I will change the photo period

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Wow, ok thanks. i didnt know that. I thought we should have MH 'mimic' the photoperiod in the tropics. (Where I am from originally the sun rose at 6.30am and set about 6pm-of course that was 2 degrees from the equator)
I will change the photo period

You need to keep in mind that the 6:30 sun is no where near as intense as the noon day sun. That's why we use actinic supplementation to simulate sunrise and sunset.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: