joemac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
old fishtown

i would stop by for the freshwater fish, but yeah, would have to agree about the corals....was not impressed...

but the new store by a former employee.... we will have to see..

XclusiveReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
not worth it imo...hate to bash a local business, especially being a local business myself. When they were on northern the coral was almost always bleached, receding, and overpriced. This area is dying for a well maintained marine/coral store.
agree area does need a good lfs that is not shaddy. Last time I went to fishtown they kinda forgot what customer service was. hope with the new management in place it will be better.

leoent

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
about 3-4 years ago, they actually had some decent corals. IDK what happened. Since the dad pasted away things haven't been the same. George and Noel did their best. But yea, their prices were high but I guess they based it on locations, also being they were the only LFS around that area for years. Aquarium Village is the same, High Price and bad customer service..

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
about 3-4 years ago, they actually had some decent corals. IDK what happened. Since the dad pasted away things haven't been the same. George and Noel did their best. But yea, their prices were high but I guess they based it on locations, also being they were the only LFS around that area for years. Aquarium Village is the same, High Price and bad customer service..

I don?t remember a time in the last decade when fish town had good anything. The only good was that one guy who left there and worked with Andrew at Advanced for a while when Andrew was first starting.

Aquarium Village on the other hand was awesome just a few short years ago. Don?t know the inner workings there but from where i?m sitting Rocco left, store went to crap

XclusiveReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I stopped by the new shop today it is now called FishWorld USA.. it is a nice smaller shop and the staff is super cool. The saltware section is very very small. I spoke to one the guys that helped me and he said they will get some corals but not alot..

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Wow... I did not know they had moved.

Fishtown USA was a regular stop for me as a kid, but the location they had in Manhattan on 33rd and 3rd Avenue. (This should really date me!)

It was a great place for the time, but the employees were a bit obnoxious. The location in Flushing was decent, but when the father passed away it went downhill. They had decent prices on fish and inverts and were a great place to pickup frozen foods that you couldn't find elsewhere at the time. (Cyclopeze, etc.)

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think I remember the Manhattan location too, in the early 90s?
The Queens one was a regular stop for me on the way home when I first started working in Queens (2001), but I stopped going so frequently over the last few years.

I also like NY Reef and Aquatic, but parking can be a pain there.

Aggi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
That?s so true when Rocco left Aquarium Village it changed completely. Sorry to say ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: