MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Wanted to share a few pics of my IceFire echinata I took today. After years of attempting to grow this classic acro, I think I will finally be able to at least get it to be a little more than just a tiny stick on a plug. This is at least my fourth try in trying to succeed with this coral. I love its delicate growth structure and color. Part of its allure for me is the apparent difficulty in keeping this acro.

Extremely sensitive to ship and acclimate. I originally acquired this coral as a tiny piece from Jared at Rocky Mountain Frags. He has not had it available for a very long time now. It is finally starting to take off and growing in the direction of the flow.

It is placed all the way down at the bottom of the tank receiving fairly strong indirect flow.

Please feel free to share pics of your own IceFire coral here :smile:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Mac how do u keep ur reef so super clean I'm jealous I try so hard to keep my nutrients low but having issues

Anywho I just bought a nice frag few months ago but it is white and blue I like the neon green ur getting

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424130598.993798.jpg

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Mac how do u keep ur reef so super clean I'm jealous I try so hard to keep my nutrients low but having issues

Anywho I just bought a nice frag few months ago but it is white and blue I like the neon green ur getting

Well I do run GFO continuously. Other than that I do water changes every week or every other week and keep lots of snails around!

Your Ice Fire is very nice and looks like is growing well. You'll get the white body when you place it higher in the tank. Mine receives a bit lower light so I get a little more green inside the branches.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Beautiful piece. I have had a few over the years and as mentioned it will be whiter higher up, but I have found that it's very hard to keep those colors long term and that they are very sensitive to any water changes. For those of us who have kept SPS for many years knows how difficult it is to maintain those parameters without something going wrong causing swings which doomed each one I have had.

Last edited:

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Very nice piece Mach :)

Thanks Rich! Being somewhat of an avid acro collector, I have to say this is among my favorite corals. As is usually the case, pics does not really portray its beauty. This thing glows even from side view.

MWoodhill stunning piece man! I wonder if the wild IceFires are faster growers? Regardless just gotta love true A. Echinatas!

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Rich! Being somewhat of an avid acro collector, I have to say this is among my favorite corals. As is usually the case, pics does not really portray its beauty. This thing glows even from side view.

MWoodhill stunning piece man! I wonder if the wild IceFires are faster growers? Regardless just gotta love true A. Echinatas!

the pic was taken before my vacation. literally my tank broke down with my bestie's sitting. the red dragon piece's totally gone. the ssc and the ice fire survived and are recoverin

since im lookin for a new job and a consequential move, ill continue with what i'm left with. then ill call you to get some nice chunks of acro.

a brutal reminder: never trust your tank with those who even fail freshwater tanks. seek a professional tanksitter before you leave for a long vacation

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
the pic was taken before my vacation. literally my tank broke down with my bestie's sitting. the red dragon piece's totally gone. the ssc and the ice fire survived and are recoverin

since im lookin for a new job and a consequential move, ill continue with what i'm left with. then ill call you to get some nice chunks of acro.

a brutal reminder: never trust your tank with those who even fail freshwater tanks. seek a professional tanksitter before you leave for a long vacation

Hey man so sorry to hear! That's heartbreaking although happy your SSC and IceFire survived! This is unfortunately too common in our hobby. Hang in there, good luck and when you're ready shoot me a PM or txt :smile:

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey guys i just recently got what im guessing is a wild ice fire was wondering what would be a good placement for it? Right now its in low to mid section of the tank. Im running a Photon 24 LED dunno if that helps with suggestions.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hey guys i just recently got what im guessing is a wild ice fire was wondering what would be a good placement for it? Right now its in low to mid section of the tank. Im running a Photon 24 LED dunno if that helps with suggestions.

It really depends on your nutrient level and feeding, combined with the amount of light it's getting. Wherever you place it, just watch what it does. If it fades move it down, darkens move it up. The optimal placement will never be the same in every tank. They're too many other variables to consider.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: