richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Im looking forward to selling my freshwater tanks and switching over to one big acrylic saltwater tank. Dimensions will be 5' x 3' x 2'. Does anyone know any places that they know has good prices and experience with large acrylic sheets? Thank you.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
They usuallyy come in 8' x 4' per sheet.

You may need 3 sheets

Learn how to glue them properly is the most important as other stuff I can help you such as ordering sheets cut to size for you. You will need a lot of clamps. Buying them for just one tank is not cost effective as you need a lot of them. However, I can rent the clamps to you and two brackets to them at right angels during gluing. You need a router-the more powerful the better. ou can rent that in Home Depot . May be you should just buy it-not too expensive and is still useful for many other projects if you are a handy man. Sanding edges are almost unavaiodable so, you should get a good sander but not the high power ones that you can take out 1mm of acrylics in a light touch. The weakers ones take longer but you have more control.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Richard,

I have a shop, Acrylic Imagery, and you can talk with us at the NJ frag swap. But its doesn't even come close to being worth it for you to do it yourself. You might save some money but if your considering doing it yourself to save then you can't afford to mess up those sheets. And there is a huge difference when your making a tank for someone else and if you mess up you can cut it down and still use material, versus doing it once for yourself and having to get it right the first time or eat the money. And you have to make sure it holds water for the duration of its life while being in your home. If you bust a seam, who are you going to be angry with. Even though people don't say this, if the seam isn't right or the tank thickness is too thin then the tank can come apart. The good thing is you can see it coming but its still going to be upsetting. If I was a diy'er I would do it in glass, way way before I did it in acrylic, because the gluing process is much easier. But then you have to deal with the weight.

If you had said I want a 2'*2'*2', I still would have said something similar but it would've been a more acceptable lose for you. But a 5' x 3' x 2' is a larger tank and it will be very big for you. I could easily say I can get cut sheets for you and I could make money off it, but thats really not in your best interest. The money you think your saving, you won't save in the end. Shops don't get rich off of one tank, its a business like any other. Whatever you decide goodluck with it.

Last edited:

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
Listen To Kimoyo, Aqua Pro Builder & Camanuch!

richardhmc,

Great advice from Kimoyo, Aqua Pro Builder & Camanuch! I would hope that you'd really think this thing out especially if this is your first tank build. With such a large tank you'll be taking a really big hit with the cost of material, water damage and livestock. When done correctly you'll defintely save yourself a ton of money but when not done correctly it could lead to disaster. Like Kimoyo stated no shop is going to build their business on a single tank. Good Luck if you choose to build your own tank but the advice that Kimoyo is offering is Priceless!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: