Jbobaloo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey is anyone still around over here in SI? I'm new to the hobby and looking to get started with a larger nano tank in the next few months (think January). So I need lots of advice and help! I've tried to research as much as I can in the past couple of years... but I wouldn't mind learning from those who have done this first hand.

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
Welcome Aboard!

Hello,

First Welcome to MR :grouphug: You'll be glad to know that there are quite a few MR members in your area. That's good to know when trading frags or when an emergency occurs. Some of your local MR members may be able to assist you in your time of need. Good Luck on your new tank and keep the questions coming MR members love to help out others!

:goldfish2

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Welcome to our little family here on MR!

I'm sure SI guys will be along shortly. They are a wonderful group of guys, of which I am sure will not mind giving you a helping hand.
Do continue to read, and explore the Tank Thread forum for some great ideas..................................

Jbobaloo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much everyone! Wow, I never expected such a warm welcome :)

Well I had my mind made up to go with a Cadlights 22g until just recently. Now I'm kinda leaning towards a Cadlights 39g Pro http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=153

My plans are to do DIY LED lights for whatever tank I go with. I'm not good with DIY (my DH will take care of the LEDs) so that is why I'm looking into an AIO. I really don't want a lot of fish - mostly a couple of clowns and maybe a firefish if I can get a lid for my tank. I'd try some softies first to see how I like keeping corals before anything else. I really love rics - especially the yumas so I expect those will be some of my first corals. I never thought of keeping sps until I saw this tank: http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/25-tank-of-the-month
;)

I know I don't want to use bio balls or anything like that for filtration... I actually wanted to try using a refugium in combination with powerheads, live rock and live sand for my filtration. Still have to read more on that...

I have a couple of books that I read over and over again, and I mostly hang around nano-reef.com and occasionally reefcentral.com for info.

Jbobaloo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess my question now is do I try to use the info I've read and attempt to use a refugium as my only filter, or as a beginner should I stick to the bio balls and everything that comes with the AIO... as with all my other ideas of modifications and such. Go with the stock stuff for now? Not sure which Cadlights I want to get, but probably will go with one of them (space is not an issue).

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Welcome Jbobaloo. Another SI reefer here. I would not recommend buying an all-in-one set up considering the light and fitration modifications you plan to make. It seems like you would just be wasting money on equipment that you do not intend to use.

Also, I would suggest checking out a 40/50 gallon breeder tank before committing to the CAD tank. The breeders are 36 inches long x 18 inches wide and will allow for better aquascaping compares to the CAD aquarium, IMO.

If I've learned anything in this hobby it is to do your own research, take your time, and do things right the first time. Fortunately, it seems like you have learned these things quicker than I did.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Animal kingdom sells many things, RODI water as well. but they are mainly into custom installs and maintenance. But as mentioned the cost is a bit pricey.

There are other places that you can go to and get the RODI, but the best place will always be your home. once you start to get into travel and time the cost adds up pretty quick and the cost of your own personal filter system just doesn't seem that bad anymore.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: