Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thought I would put up a funny pick of the star linkia

bce49af9.jpg

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think your star fish is highlight of your tank. It might not be your favorite creature in the tank.... however it makes pictures look like Disney cartoon. (we'll at least that's how i picture Disney cartoons)

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Update: I been having high temperature problems that have gone as high as 84F. I live in a building where heat is free and constantly on. Buying a chiller was not an option because its just to expensive. I decided on purchasing the JBJ C-breeze fan and the Ranco ETC controller which will turn on fan when heat goes over set value. I was very surprised how well the fan works, it took one hour for the temperature to go from 84F to 78F. On the downside the water evaporation has increased when the fan is on. The fan was on for 2 days continuously where 2.5 gallons of RO water was used up.

Another issue I am having is brown algae all over the sand , I have yet to resolve this problem.

cbc75ef4.jpg
caa735d3.jpg

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey. Also have brown algae. Not too much but appearing fast. I stir the sand hopefully it suffocates but i think it just causes more nutrients for the new one t grow on. I dont think vacuuming the sand is good alternative as a lot of top sand goes to waste. If find solution let me know.
Did you setup your fan to turn on and turn off when needed?

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hey. Also have brown algae. Not too much but appearing fast. I stir the sand hopefully it suffocates but i think it just causes more nutrients for the new one t grow on. I dont think vacuuming the sand is good alternative as a lot of top sand goes to waste. If find solution let me know.
Did you setup your fan to turn on and turn off when needed?

Brown algae problem is under control for now but I had to use redslime remover because a lot of red algae was appearing. Stirring the sand won't fix the problem only delay it. The key is to find what's causing the problem.

The fan and the controller work perfect. Although the fan is loud but not much I can do about it. Also there is a difference in temperature readings between the controller and my digital thermometer, it's about 1.5F degree. The digital one reads 79.8 and the controller is 81. So I don't know which one to believe. I need another thermometer lol.

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Haven't updated in a while. My tank has been a pain the entire summer with nothing but problems. I have been battling with red slime to a point where everything was covered and lost half my corals. I finally got everything under control but had to use Boyd Chemiclean to finally remove the red slime. It worked magic. It's almost been a year now and over all I am very disappointed with Intermediate LED version hood for the tank. Corals have been I growing at snails pace. Really considering getting another tank and starting over. I wish there was some cheap solution to replace my lights.
In the meantime one of my clowns had passed so I purchased an Aussie black percula. I will try to get some recent pictures up soon.

spiz641

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a JBJ also ... on the fence about which Skimmer to buy
How do you like yours so far and how was the fit.. you think it would fit in the Right chamber instead of the left. I currently have no pump on the Right just a MJ 1200 on the left and it pumps great.

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi I have a JBJ also ... on the fence about which Skimmer to buy
How do you like yours so far and how was the fit.. you think it would fit in the Right chamber instead of the left. I currently have no pump on the Right just a MJ 1200 on the left and it pumps great.

I use the Aquamaxx Hob-1 skimmer which does its job. Out off all the research I have done this skimmer had the best reviews.

I dont see why the skimmer wont fit on the right side. If you google this skimmer with our tank a bunch of threads will show you how it looks.

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
About a week ago one of my clownfish started breathing hard and swimming strange. Sadly enough the next morning i found him floating around the tank. I was very upset. Exause both my clowns have finally paired and now pne days. So I went to my local LFS and purchased an Aussie Black Percula Clown. He was doing perfecty fine the first two days in the tank but now he began swimming strangly. He either always floats on his side on the top of the water or just lays on the sand like he has a hard time swimming. My other clown stays with him all the time and nudges him to swim. I don't understand whats been going on in my tank to cause this behavior on my tank. Everything else is perfectly fine and all my parameters are stable. I did some research and hopfully its not swim bladder disease. Anyone with any ideas ?

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Nice tank! Researching getting a nano, same size and the JBJ's look good. I see some of the problems you have expereinced and feel your pain. I want a nano becuase my downstairs was taken out by Sandy where I would have put in a bigger tank. So looking for a nano to jump in. Been 25 yrs, since having a saltwater tank so a new like you. Was wondering if you would start with a JBJ again or another brand......Good Luck! I will be in the same boat soon enough!

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Nice tank! Researching getting a nano, same size and the JBJ's look good. I see some of the problems you have expereinced and feel your pain. I want a nano becuase my downstairs was taken out by Sandy where I would have put in a bigger tank. So looking for a nano to jump in. Been 25 yrs, since having a saltwater tank so a new like you. Was wondering if you would start with a JBJ again or another brand......Good Luck! I will be in the same boat soon enough!

I def like having a nano cube but you are limited to equipment upgrade when it comes to an all in one tank. I purchased this tank due to limited space and without any knowledge of the hobby. JBJ is a good tank but if I had to do it all over again I would customize a tank with a sump. If you do decide to go with JBJ LED tank make sure you get advance model.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: