Snowboarda42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ordered a clean up crew online from SWF's site. It was $90 bucks, free shipping and comes with the following:
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 10
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 10
Nasssarius Snail: 10
Brittle Starfish: 2
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Emerald Crab: 3
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20
Cleaner Clam: 2

Now here's the question I have:
Do I consider this addition a Bio-Load?

The reason I ask is because if it is, I might add half to my DT and half to my QT for a while, just to let the bacteria catch up. Also, because I just found two really healthy Anthias at my LFS that I kinda like (Don't remember the name). And I might drive over to Spokane to get something from KevinPo at Aquatic Dreams. I just don't want to make too big of an addition all at one time...Would you consider it too big of a bio-load?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider them "bioload." But I don't think adding all of them at one time is a problem. If possible, I'd wait a week or two for the Anthias, but they shouldn't present too much of a problem for the nitrifying bacteria either.

Snowboarda42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woops too late I just got them both.

The pet store calles them by Pink Anthias. They're pretty plain but i'll post pictures soon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im also planning on getting a cleanup crew for my new 55g, got a few questions, since the tank is new...

how long do i wait to get my hands on a cleanup crew?
Also, since you said they do add to the bio-load, whats the general rule of thumb for how much of a bioload a crew similiar to the one he just bought will put on my tank

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't heard of a "bio load chart" that you can look at when you consider buying a snail or hermit crab, and can get an idea as to how much actual bio load the creature in mention will put on the tank. it's pretty basic though, the larger the individual creature, or the larger the "crew" is, the larger the bio load.

i'd purchase a cleanup crew when there is something that needs cleaning up. i don't know how new your tank is, but if all your parameters have zero'd out, i wouldn't see a problem with trying out a few snails and such.

you might not want to purchase hermits though. they will kill your snails.
they will kill them for shells, and they will kill them for "sport".
- my hermits were killing snails and changing shells 2 and 3 times a week, even though i had a pile of empty shells on the sand just sitting there doing nothing. they are PREDATORS.

same goes for the emerald crabs. one day they look all tiny and cute, and the next day they are tearing a mushroom apart for lunch. :evil:

herpencounter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might not want to purchase hermits though. they will kill your snails.
they will kill them for shells, and they will kill them for "sport".
- my hermits were killing snails and changing shells 2 and 3 times a week, even though i had a pile of empty shells on the sand just sitting there doing nothing. they are PREDATORS.

You are a hermit hater :twisted: .
What hermits do you get because I never had this happen.
Any time some one (and me) say something about hermits you have something bad to say :P .

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm just telling you my experience, and the truth is, they ARE predators, and they can and most likely will kill snails. i had red legs, blue legs and some goldish legged ones...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as beneficial cleaning benefits of the hermits vs the snails, is it better to have both (seeing as though the hermits will kill the snails), or just a crew of only snails/hermits.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's up to you. it depends who you talk to i guess. i've just had bad experiences with the hermits, emerald crabs, and sally lightfoot crabs. i had good luck (so far) with porcelain crabs.
if you buy hermits, there is a chance you'll be buying snails every so often. they are very cheap, but i hate seeing them being harrassed and killed.

Snowboarda42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 8 Mexican Turbo Snails (borrowing 4) about 5 days ago. 96% of my algae is GONE. Those stupid hermits and nassarius snails don't do crap. Don't waste your money on anything else.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like them too, but they always seem to knock my corals off of the rock.
i have to glue certain frags over and over because of those big, clumsy jokers :roll:

turnburn

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say that nassarius snails are worthless. Mine come out of the sand like little zombies as soon as any food hits the bottom. They do a good job taking care of uneaten food.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits used to eat my snails too. I had plenty of shells at the bottom of my tank but they would go after the snails for their shells. They are bullies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: