• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

behruz

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone;

i am planning on setting up a fairly small reef tank at work (between 10 to 20 G). it needs to be very quite and self contained (no room for sump or stand). i also would like to use LED lighting to avoid as much heat (as well as fans) as possible . I know JBJ has a 24G offering, but I wanted something with a more open top look and not all the fan built into the top. any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated.

i currently have a ELOS mini at work and really love it, but I cannot take it to my new office.

thanks;
Behruz...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for posting your LED idea they are not common on our forum yet...Welcome to the nanos section!!

I am not an LED master, there are some, hopefully they will stop by. I know from second hand experience that people are buying multiple LED setups from marinedepot.com and using them to light these nanos. I don't remember the name brand but its a $100 light that screws into a regular socket for home lighting, so any standard light receptacle can be your reef light now. Sorry to lack the specifics but a quick search at marinedepot.com will turn out just what we are looking at

brandon

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha!!

Thats a corvette of a system, please do post pics. I follow LED tanks over the long haul to see how well they do SPS. Im seeing a lot of success across the forums I work and you have made a sound decision that's a great setup

shawnww

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 28gal Nano and I am also looking to buy LED since I am in AZ. I have found three really good companies that have some very nice lighting for Nano's. One of the companies is called Aquatic Illumination http://www.aquaillumination.com and they have a Nano LED light that I believe will be around $300 or so. I was able to see one of these larger ones for sale at the reef store I go to called Reef Culture. On top of having lighting options and lunar cycles it can be programmed from a computer. The one at the store was simulating a thunderstorm complete with lightning. Another company I came across that has large and Nano LED setups is Pacific Sun Lighting. http://www.pacific-sun.eu/ Obviously they are in Europe but they have a couple of U.S sellers that can get these here. They also are very advanced and have full lunar cycles that are far more advanced than just adding a moon light. The last company I found was called Maxspect and they had several wattage offerings. The reseller that I found was called Fish-street.com. There are a couple of incredible you tube videos on that web site. This is so cool and glad the hobby is moving this direction. If anyone has some thoughts or know of other companies please let me know.

Thanks,

-Shawnww :mrgreen:

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have that much budgeted for a nano light thats great because it means you aren't taking shortcuts. those were awesome lights above.

donniep

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that 28g be a jbj 28? If so I would go ahead and buy the led hood for the 28. The reason I say that is because I have a jbj 28g led and it is fantastic, grows sps coral really fast, I will post a pic of my 28g at about six months, the sps growth is just fantastic. You can buy these hoods from jbj for $389.00 and well worth it, They also have built in dawn-dusk and moon lights. link below.

[url=http://jbjnanocubes.com/conte...jnanocubes.com/contents/en-us/ ... -hood.html
[/url]

My tank
http://etak.forumotion.com/t27-28-gallon-jbj-led-nano

shawnww

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
donniep,

Yes, it is a jbj 28 but I bought it used with the 150watt HQI. The tank is getting too warm for me and I don't want to use a chiller. I was talking to another member who had the LED hood for sale but I have heard nothing from him for two weeks. I did some research online and was looking at the Solaris Sol Nano LED light but it's just as much as buying the hood. Another website I came across was Nanotuners and they have a kit you can customize yourself and it retros into my existing hood after removing the old fans and halide. It also adds up if you add new fans, heat sink etc. Your tank looks awesome and I am very impressed with the coral growth and how bright it is. This is definitely the way to go for me. My question is can the LED's be dimmed or do you just turn off the whites then the blues later? Thanks for the pics!!

Shawnww

donniep

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they are not dimmable but the way mine is setup is the dawn-dusk which is 4 -3watt blue come on at 7:00am and stay on all day and then the daylights come on at 8:00am and stay on till 8:00pm then the dawn-dusk go off at 9:30 pm and the moon lights 2-1 watt blue stay on all night. All this is controlled by a Aualife power center, link is below. You can't beat the jbj led hood, it is crazy bright and has four vent fans, creates no heat. I live in Texas where the temps regularly reach over 100 degrees in the daytime and my temp stays at 78 without a chiller, the leds run real cool.

http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr...ht-power-center/prodAqualightPowerCenter.html

shawnww

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
donniep,

Just got my 89 Watt LED hood today. Its awesome and it's as bright as my 150 Watt HQI without the heat. I will post some pics later this week, thanks for your help!!

donniep

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are surely welcome, glad I could help and I know you will be more than satisfied with the jbj hood. The leds are much brighter than you think, Start your corals out on the bottom and move them up a little at a time to keep from bleaching them. The only coral I have had trouble with was a pink Stylofora, it bleached on top and turned brown underneath. On our hottest summer Texas days, I just open the little feeding door on mine and the temp stays around 79. About every six months, you will probably need to remove the glass cover that is over the lights and blow the dust out as the dust drawn in by the vent fans will collect on the clear glass. How you like the dawn-dusk and moon lights, they are cool huh. I promise you will have sps growth like you never seen before, everyone on my local reef board are amazed at the growth rate of mine. I am posting a link below to check out my 28g, let me know what you think.

http://etak.forumotion.com/t27-28-gallon-jbj-led-nano

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: