buff1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of fiber optic installations that use natural sunlight as the source for offices/homes etc. This would seem to be an excellent source of light in some parts of the country with no electrical cost. Obviously you would also need some supplemental artificial light source, but natural light could provide the proper spectrum and intesity for a reef application. Have you considered testing natural light as a source?

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buff1":303fj4ug said:
I have heard of fiber optic installations that use natural sunlight as the source for offices/homes etc. This would seem to be an excellent source of light in some parts of the country with no electrical cost. Obviously you would also need some supplemental artificial light source, but natural light could provide the proper spectrum and intesity for a reef application. Have you considered testing natural light as a source?

To maximize intensity, the light source has to be focused and directed into the fibers. Natural light would be a cost effective light source provided there was some mechanism to focus the light. Unfortunately some sort of active method to constantly adjust and focus light from the sun might be expensive.

Richard Harker

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
I have made a simple sun tracker using a plastic cylinder with a photoresist about 15 years ago. I am sure you can find schematics on the web that enable you to construct similar thing for less than $20.

buff1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly no expert, but I know the solar power industry has many kinds of sun tracking devices. I'm not saying it's affordable or reliable, but the technology is there. I have a dream of providing 80% of my lighting needs from natural light. Maybe in 5-10 years.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The device you are talking about does indeed exist, its been used in Japan for years by those without good lighting to increase their indoor natural light. Its a dish thats powered that tracks the movement of the sun and focuses the light down fiberoptic cables. How it emerges on the other side I am not certain as I haven't seen one in action, but I know the going cost over there was around $10k for a single unit a couple years back.

Wade

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: