Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Awilbrandy, the reason I looked in to peroxide was because i had dyno. I tried everything to get rid of them, high ph, lights off, high nitrate, so i gave peroxide i try. It's gone, but after a lot of work, of peroxide, vodka dosing and scrubbing. Honestly I don't think it was the peroxide, i think it was a combination of everything. The reason I say it wasn't peroxide is because people that used it with dyno, saw results right away (in the tank or with dip) I didn't see any results right away. What is the reason for you to look into peroxide? Algae problem? Dyno?

I am currently working on a bit of cyano on the sand bed which I am sure has to do with the neglect I put the tank through over a period of around 7 months.:( But aside of the cyano, I keep getting this disgusting brownish stuff on the sand bed. Something I never had before changing the southdown to ESV sand.
The sand just looks so dirty.....
I got back on maintenance just this past August: W/C twice a week, running carbon & GFO in 2 TLF reactors. Not feeding food combo every day, got new MH lamps in September (which run 5 hours), still need to replace PC (run 12 hours).
New feeding schedule:
The fish get 1 Nori sheet per day.
Day 1: mysis, tapiko eggs,1 frozen cube cyclops, 1 frozen cube angel food, soaked in VitaChem, Vit. C, Selcon, Garlic Extreme.
Day 2: Nori sheet
Day 3: Nori sheet, tapiko eggs, Oyster Feast, Phyto Feast, Rotier Feast, soaked in VitaChem, Vit. C, Selcon, Garlic Extreme.
Followed by 20% w/c.
Day 4: Rod's Food, tapiko eggs,1 frozen cube cyclops, 1 frozen cube angel food, soaked in VitaChem, Vit. C, Selcon, Garlic Extreme.
Day 5: Nori sheet
Day 6: Nori sheet,tapiko eggs, Oyster Feast, Phyto Feast, Rotier Feast, soaked in VitaChem, Vit. C, Selcon, Garlic Extreme.
Followed by w/c.
Day 7: Nori sheet
I do not plan on changing any further. I like my fish to have enough food even if that means more water changes to keep up with there pooping.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I am at work so I can't give you the run down for what I did right now. What I would do, I would get some of the sand that has the brownish stuff, scoop it up flat so that it stays compact, dump it in a measuring cup with some tank water, and dose a bunch of peroxide, like a cup (way too much for any living things..lol)in the measuring cup outside of the tank, and see what happens, see if it kills the brown stuff. I honestly don't add all the stuff you are putting in. Ohh one more thing, also i think my salt sucks (instant ocean)i am curious if you are using that one.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I will give that idea of the sand in the cup a try.;) Just to see what happens! I also use IO, use to use Coralife salt, and was told IO was much better.;) All I know is I had no issues before changing sand & salt. So can't say which is the culprit.lol Could just be me at fault.;)

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I am switching to ESV, you can buy from member here isgon has it for i think $60 for 200gal, which i think comes up to about $10 more then IO. I think IO had something to do with my spike in Phosphate and dyno, all happened after I switched from reef crystal salt.

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This seems to be the most robust thread on the forum on H202, so I'm going to piggyback off it. After reading up, I decided to give a 50/50 dip a try on my algae-covered acan and (dying) hammer, as well as some zoas. I did the zoas for 3 minutes, the LPS for 30 seconds [first try]. The zoas seemed fine although closed up, as did the acan. The hammer slimed up a TON while in the cup, and has receded even more than before. It's possible they were so far gone they couldn't take the added stress... Will wait a day and give it a shot again on Saturday, and will let you know. Any thoughts? Before and after pics attached...

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 895
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    124 KB · Views: 885

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Advanwoerden this suggestion might sound crazy but it worked for me..Take your hammer and if its still alive, hang it upside down in midwater, you might hang it with a rubber band and hang it from a rock midwater....Mine was dying and somehow it fell upside down and was hanging from a rock, it recovered. and it's still alive. Worth trying.

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey Paolissimo, in case you were wondering - 4 out of 6 heads on the hammer are dead, but one is looking pretty good and may actually make it! Keep you updated...

On a similar topic- has anyone dosed a carbon source along with hydrogen peroxide, to counteract the bacteria die-off? I tried the 50/50 h202 dip and it worked on the algae but realllly stressed out my LPS. Thinking about daily dosing but worried that I'll kill all the good bacteria as well...

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have taken acans that were receding from beautiful 10 to 20 head colonies down to 2-4 heads and actually poured peroxide on them waited about 15-20 seconds rinsed in tank water and placed back in tank I would say 80% survived

BKNYx43

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Anyone like to update this thread with their findings? After reading through this whole thread, I will be dosing H2O2 to my tank as well. The one thing that wasn't mentioned was if H2O2 was harmful to Chaeto. For anyone that has Chaeto, did you see any die off or are they still thriving?
Thanks!

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This has been an awesome thread to read from start to end. I will start dosing this weekend for 2 weeks in hopes of getting rid of some bad H.A.

BKNYx43, since Chaeto is an algae, you might notice some die off. Also, accoridn gto one guy here, here saw die off from his pods.

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dosed to fight against dino algae. theres a say it can kill the algae but it didnt work to me. but there wasnt--at least i didnt see any--bad effects. i dosed quite much--surely overdosed 2 times than recommended online

Manolo_AP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm just coming off a dosing regimen combined with 4day black out period. High PH 8.6. High magnesium. No water changes. Wet skimming. Removed all rock and sprayed with hydrogen peroxide. Also dosed 1mL per 10gallons daily. No feeding. Wet skimming. GFO and carbon reactor. Aggressive siphoning.

All of this worked very well. (Fingers crossed)

But after reading this thread I'm going to order Fauna Marin Algae X just to be sure. I've been battling Dino for 3 months. You MUST be aggressive about it.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
After reading this thread that seems to have started a ways back, I'm considering a dosing regiment. My questions are (hopefully someone will know):

1) Does anyone know the effects on Caulerpa sp. macros?
I have a very healthy refugium that's loaded and I don't want to loose them.
2) I know vodka dosing is similar to vinegar dosing, and that some who posted in this thread were dosing vodka with h2o2 as part of a maintenance schedule. My question is, does anyone know if dosing vinegar with h2o2 is the same?

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
It will have a negative effect on your refugium over extended dosing period. And yes you can do h2o2 with vinigar. But you use I believe 8x the amount of vinegar than you would Vodka. Or something close to that. Do not use that for an exact amount. It is a guestamate there is an exact amount I'm just not sure what it is. Its been a while.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: