pathos

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this topic has been beaten to death with a stick. try searching for aptasia in the "search" box. i think the general consensus is peppermint shrimp and/or copper banded butterflies.

MelanieF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely peppermint shrimp...I had a 2inch aiptasia in my tank and within hours after adding 2 peppermint shrimp it was sent to its death. Don't try to take it out yourself as it will shatter and you will have many more to worry about....
icon_wink.gif

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 4 peppermints in my tank and haven't seen them since and still have aptaisa. I have a coralbanded and a cleaner, do you think they coral Banned ate the pepps?

Barry

MelanieF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure toptank,

LFS told me not to mix coral banded or cleaner shrimp w/ peppermint shrimp but I did not ask him what would happen if I did. I know he is honest w/ me as have wanted to spend $$ many times but he has warned me against many combinations. Wanted to get a cleaner shrimp when I noticed my Royal Gramma snuggling up to the Peppermints trying to get a cleaning.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seem to be increasing incidents of baddude peppermints more and more in the news these days..... However, if you have a lot of the nasty "aips" then, you have little choice.

I have only ever spotted a couple and used a natural method suggested by a fellow reefer. A pince of salt mix directly on the beast. POOF!
icon_cool.gif

pathos

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
barry I keep a coral banded along with 2 peppermints in my tank so it has been my experience that coral bandeds do not eat peppermints. my question is how big do the coral bandeds (and peppermints) get and do they themselves become a predatorial consideration. they are all doing extremely well in my tank (gulp :cool
icon_smile.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mariner:
<STRONG>more! also, will the aptaisa sting and kill my snails?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it. Snail moves, Aips don't. Snail has shield, aips don't. Snails knows better to steer away from anemones, aips can't chase after them.

mgamelin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mariner
If you only talking about a few of them then I suggest getting a diabetic syringe and injecting them with vinegar, It works very time.
icon_biggrin.gif

Doughboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard about vineger. I've tried kalk injections with limited sucess. I bought a pepermint about a month ago, he only comes out at night and that may explain the lack of sightings. However, no change in the aptaisa population ( there is only a handful in he tank). Lately I've try boiling water. It too early to comment on the sucess rate of that.

tonyodino

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch out with the boiling water, you'll kill the beast alright and everything around it.

I use my turky baster, just suck-um right outta the gravel. May not be the most scientific but they never return.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: