• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wizardgus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a talked to death one, but I haven't turned anything up in my searches. I recently bought a Banggai Cardinal after reading it was a nocturnal Herbivore. Wish I could remember that source! After watching it I was sure it was hunting. Read more, Carnivore. My question, does this fish pose a threat to my Lysmata or my dwarf hermits? Most references say it doesn't bother other fish...true? Thanks for your help.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever reference you used - it is surely incorrect. All of the cardinalfish are carnivores. The bangaii uses it's large eyes to feed in dim light - when my clownfish hatch at night, they have a feast!

HTH
James Wiseman

wizardgus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for your prompt reply. May I assume then that they will not bother the Peppermint & Cleaner shrimp or the dwarf zebra hermits? That is my biggest concern. Most of the texts I have read since aquiring it have stated they feed on zooplankton. From that I would think my other inhabitants are too large for him. Although I should add that this one appears to be a full adult (3+") and must be wild caught as it is fully nocturnal and very shy. Any additional input greatly appreciated.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Your shrimp are not safe from Bangaii's. I used to feed mine live "ghost shrimp" which are in the same size range as your peppermints. Your hermits are probably safe though.

Hope this helps,
James

wizardgus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks James. Bummer though.. Well, am upgrading to a larger tank at the end of the month, guess he won't be invited. Now I got a SLF to catch as well. Been a model citizen until this last molt. Now he wants the Perculas and the Peppermints. This was before I learned to RESEARCH first. Thanks again,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

I, like James, occationally feed my Banggai Ghost Shrimp which they relish. I also keep Peppermint and Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp. I've not lost any to the Banggai. I also keep Peppermint shrimp in my Banggai breeding facility to pick up the scraps of food that the Banggai miss and I've not lost any there either.

A couple notes on feeding.

1 - I'm really glad your Banggai is eating. Not all of the wild caught ones learn to eat dead food.

2 - They don't normally eat flake food.

3 - They don't notmally pick stuff up off the substrate.

4 - If you don't feed them a variety of food it can be difficult to switch them to another food source later on.

Guy (AKA Bang Guy)

wizardgus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll watch then and see what develops. It is a cool fish, would like to keep it if possible. Where do you get these ghost shrimp? Last night was the first time it took any Mysis, and it just took two then let the rest float past him. Thanks again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: