A

Anonymous

i have a 75 gallon and wonder what is the best placement of the powerheads, i have the prefilter in the corner, its an all glass

A

Anonymous

I have the water return running along the back of the tank, creating a current that goes clockwise around the surface. Then in each back corner I have rotating power sweeps...that seems to create chaotic water movement, with little eddy's at one end and relatively calmer water at the other. My hope is that it will create a home for all.

A

Anonymous

I too have a 75. I have three power heads in the tank. One in each top corner pointing towards the center front. The third is mid way down on the right side of the tank pointing towards the surface also towards the center of the tank. They are connected to a Tsunami wavemaker. Powerheads 1 and 2 are always on opposite cycles. Powerhead 3 comes on randomly. Sometimes on with powerhead 1 sometimes with powerhead 2. When 1 and 3 are on. I get some pretty violent water movement towards the center of the tank where I have my sps. Each left and right front stay calm and is where I have LPS and softies. I can vary the amount of violent current by adjusting the on off of pumps 1 and 2. If I need more current, I up the amount of on time of these two so there is more reaction time with 3.
That is a bit confusing and came about with a LOT of playing and observing. Your corals will let you know if your setup is not right.
Paul

A

Anonymous

One of my reefs is a 75. I've experimented with a number of arrangements, and by far have had the best results with my current set-up.
My discharge/return pump comes out in the back center of the tank, and is fairly strong. For additional current I use 2 Maxi-Jet 600's, one on either side of the aquarium, almost in the middle of the glass, mounted about 6" down from the surface with the discharges at about a 35 degree angle toward the surface. This creates a great deal of turbulence on the surface, and blasts the return flow coming out the middle from the return pump. I have a colony of green star polyps and a bulb anenome (entacmea quadricolor) underneath the return pump and they LOVE the resulting current. For some reason it's not a constant blast either - gentle rippling and then about every 10 seconds or so there's a major undulation in the current. It's a beautiful effect! Discovered it accidentally one day while cleaning the glass.
Ideally I'd like even more current in my 75 but keep in mind your coral placement is a HUGE factor in their success. A previous post said it best - your corals will let you know when they're happy. HTH

A

Anonymous

I have a 75 also. I don't have a sump so I use a power filter and a hang on skimmer. Both add to the current in the tank and even without powerheads I have quite a bit of turbulence. I do have 2 powerheads, though. Both in corners with one aiming at the center front and the other(small) kind of skimming across the top of the reef. Most of the movement in the tank seems to come from the output of my skimmer and filter. Most of my corals like light to medium current so this has worked well for me. You should see my Xenias pulse.

------------------
Laurie

I came, I saw, I bought.

A

Anonymous

I have a 75 also, seems like a popular size.
My return points toward the middle of th side farthest away, The one in the Other back corner points to the middle, the front corner the same, the front by the return runs stright across front of tank. All 3 heads are in the top of tank. I also put one in the back by the overflow half way down the tank pointing across th back behind my rock. Its the only one i cant see.

Paul A. what type of powerhead do you use mine have been trashed in 2 weeks by my wavemaker.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: