masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
This has been a controversial subject.

Depending upon your usage of bio-balls they are not bad for a reef tank.
The reason bio-balls have a bad rap is because people are accustomed to using them the way they were originally designed to be used, in a wet/dry sump. When they are in the 'dry' section of a wet/dry, they collect detritus and contribute to the nitrite, nitrate, phosphate build up, because they are above the waterline.

If you use the bio-balls the same way you would use live rock, submerged, then they will provide you with a large amount of surface area and basically perform the exact same way LR would perform, as a place for bacteria to colonize.

So once again, it depends upon your intended use for them.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I think its simply because it something else to worry about becoming a nitrate factory in the long run from my experience....

LR is not noted to be a nitrate factory in the long run. Bio-balls, when submerged, are no different. If water were to flow over the bio-balls while above the waterline, that would be a different story.

Hence the controversy ;)

swimmer

Potrzebie

Professor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My nitrate was high until I removed the bio-balls. They'll produce nitrate even if submerged -- because they don't harbor anaerobic bacteria. The aerobic bacteria on the bioballs converts fishes' nitrogenous waste to nitrates, but you need anaerobic bacteria (e.g. the ones found in a deep sand bed or within LR) to break down the nitrates further to get rid of them.

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Thanks Masterswimmer.
I got rid of my bioballs in my w/d & my nitrates went down but the noise in my sump was up. To combat this I used a plexi sheet at an angle over my nitrate sponge & carbon. This helped a bit but the splashing is still too loud for me. I'm going to go back to the bioballs but only up to the waterline this time.

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey isn't that the reason for bio balls;To produce nitrates which is part of the nitrogen cycle.First it takes amonia and turns it to nitrites then into nitrates.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: