Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I was watching the BRS video about rocks and surface area. My question is, If I take a bunch of Bioballs (yes the nitrate factory bioballs)and put them in my sump underwater, can I technically lower the amount of live rock and sand (maybe even going barebottom)in my display tank?

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Yes. If you are going to submerge the bioballs there is better stuff to use like ceramic rings.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes. If you are going to submerge the bioballs there is better stuff to use like ceramic rings.

This. Plastic bioballs work best in a wet/dry or trickle filter, they're designed to be bulky to allow air access. For something that's going to be permanently under water you want something denser but still porous, like ceramic balls (think Eheim Substrat or other canister filter bio media) or aragonite rock.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
This. Plastic bioballs work best in a wet/dry or trickle filter, they're designed to be bulky to allow air access. For something that's going to be permanently under water you want something denser but still porous, like ceramic balls (think Eheim Substrat or other canister filter bio media) or aragonite rock.

+1
I'm using them in my wet dry not submerged and have 100 micron media filter before the water hits it hence much less detritus build up on the bio balls.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: