DaFrog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tiny (about 1.5 inch) bubble tip anemone yesterday - It seems fine except for the fact that it is hanging upside down under a ledge with not this much light... Should I be worried?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they say to let them find their own spot. as long as it can't find it's way to anything like a powerhead or overflow with powerful suction.
i wouldn't worry just yet. :wink:

IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably still acclimating. They'll often times shy away from the light initially, but it could also be a sign of bigger issues. Tell us a little about your tank. . .

What size is your tank?
What are you using for lighting?
What are you using for filtration?
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, PH, alkalinity, temperature, etc.)
How long has your tank been up and running?

Watch for the anemone wandering around excessively, especially at night, where an unhappy anemone may actually detach from the rock and float around the tank. As Mr. X said, though, don't try to forcibly relocate the anemone. It will find a spot it likes and hopefully stay put.

coral_beauty

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr_X":2fgq97a0 said:
they say to let them find their own spot. as long as it can't find it's way to anything like a powerhead or overflow with powerful suction.
i wouldn't worry just yet. :wink:

Take this man's advice! My carpet anemone managed to get itself sucked into a powerhead once... that was a painful experience for me, the anemone and the powerhead!!! Ouch!

And your anemone will find its own home, they tend to roam for a while before settling in (then they rarely move, if ever). My anemones have always moved into the high light, high flow areas, dont know if that helps, its just what's happened in my tank previously.

Oh and if you have clownfish that decide to make this anemone their home, they may even drag it to where they want it and the anemone wont get much say in it (thats what mine did - crazy buggers!)

Good Luck :D

DaFrog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thxs - I feel better - And here's a picture of the anemone (and my clowns seem to host on a sponge - night picture)

Attachments

• 20070506_IMG_1119 (Small).jpg
    20070506_IMG_1119 (Small).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,386
  • 20070424_IMG_1032 (Small).jpg
    20070424_IMG_1032 (Small).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2,388

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: