Sltloser

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

As the title states Dr. Nanette Chadwick of Auburn University and myself are on the hunt for data pertaining to Entacmaea quadricolor (also known as the bulb-tentacle anemone). My name is Brady, and I?ve been active in the marine aquarium hobby for almost a decade. Throughout the years I?ve been a part of multiple forums, and have formed a passion for reef keeping. After graduating college I?ve been in contact with Dr. Chadwick, and we?re hoping the community here on Reefs.com and other forums will be able to help us gather data to give us a better understanding of a question. Why in the world do some bubble tip anemones have bulbous tips while others don?t? What factors contribute to the formation of bulbous tips in bubble tip anemones? Have you ever wondered why some of these beautiful anemones form nice bulbous tips, but others have the stringy finger like (digitiform) formation? Well so have we!

Although there isn?t much data on this topic, there is one volume in Advanced Aquarist by Charles Delbeek that delves into the possibility of light intensity playing a role in bubble formation. (This can be found on Advanced Aquarist, simply look up charles delbeek and you'll see a feature article on bubble tip anemones. I can't put url links in yet or I would simply do that) We both believe that this could possibly be a factor in determining if an anemone will produce bulbous tips. What we?re hoping is that you here on Reef Central can help us gather data on light intensity (PAR readings) to see if it plays a role in the formation of these bubble tips. This survey is a gathering of preliminary data, it is not a meticulous experiment. What I'm hoping is that we can get enough people to participate in this study which will allow us to look at the trends in the data statistically. From there hopefully we can find some correlations. Correlation does not mean causation, but it can help us to formulate experiments to see if there is any validity to the trends we find.

We?re looking for those of you who have access to a PAR meter to take measurements next to your bubble tip anemone, weather it has bulbous tips or not, and send us the readings! If you have multiple bubble tip anemones in one tank, or multiple tanks please take separate readings for each anemone.

We also have a few other levels we would like those participating to record if possible. Check out the instructions below!

Please try and capture all of the measurements listed below, the more data we have, the better we can attempt to delve into this mystery!

1. PAR measurement. To take this reading, please place the light sensor adjacent to the outermost tentacle tips of each anemone, where they are exposed to maximal light. The idea is to place the sensor as close to the anemone tentacle tips as possible, in the region of the tentacle tips that receive maximal light. See this article for more details: (You can search the paper Microhabitat use and photoacclimation in the clownfish sea anemone Entacmaea quadircolor by Dixon et al)
2. Make/Model of PAR meter being used
3. Picture of the PAR meter as it?s being used to take the measurement.
4. Presence/Absence of a clown fish in the anemone.
5. Bulbous or non-bulbous tentacles. (most important if a picture isn?t attached)
6. A recent picture (within a month) of the anemone(s).
7. Light spectrum of bulb/bulbs which illuminate the aquarium, and number of hours each day that anemones are exposed to them (# hours per day the tank lights are on).
8. NO3 and PO4 measurements in the aquarium within the last 2 weeks.
9. Flow rate in the aquarium. To accurately measure flow rate a very expensive piece of lab equipment is required so we think that it will be simpler to go by a visual rating of water flow. Identify whether the water flow rate is enough to visibly cause the tentacles to move slowly/vigorously/not at all?

Please send these results in e-mail or Microsoft Word format to [email protected] with the subject line BUBBLE TIP ANEMONE READINGS. Also feel free to tell your local reef club members, or other reefing friends you have about our call for data. We sincerely appreciate everyone who participates in gathering of data!

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I wish I had a par meter to give you this information with.I can supply several data points being that i have both RBTAs and BTAs both bubbled and stringy tentacles. Can give you a bunch of data points :(.

But im interested in this study, can you keep us updated here please.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Im very interested as well.
I just need a par meter.

Maybe food / consumption & type of feeding should be considered here.

When I hand feed the BTA it seems to get more bubbly for awhile as opposed to just letting the clown bring it food.
Coincidence? Possibly as the flow is usually cut when hand fed.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I had 3 bta in a single tank. All 3 were on the same rock (with a few inches of each other) and they were all clones from a single bta.

1 bta had bulbs and 2 did not have bulbs.

I no longer have the tanks or btas but I will look for pictures.

Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
I wish I could participate on this study to but don't have a par meter also and I run led. My friend was running two 250 watt metal halides in his 55 gallon and bought one gbta and In 3 years he had 32 anemones. I would love to learn what conditions makes them thrive

Sltloser

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the positive responses everyone, I'll be sure to keep you updated on how things go. As of now I have one reading from someone, but it's early and I'm hoping for more readings as I get more exposures from the posts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: