LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I used to live in NYC, I would hitch a ride with my buddy who owned Tropical Pets LFS (in Queens) and buy most all my livestock and even hardware that way.

I haven't made that close friends with LFS on the west coast yet, and it really sucks even looking at their retail prices.

Does anybody else here get to go to the wholesalers for livestock? I remember I used to get skunk cleaner for like $9 fire cleaners for like $12 and black-cap basslets or small purple tangs or flame angels for $20.. now I dont wanna pay retail ever again :(

:banghead:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
lol, i get that. When I saw the actual prices on wholesalers lists I was floored!!!

Then I was told about the costs of shipping and permits,etc.

I was actually STILL floored.

Especially, since the prices are more or less the same when you get brick and mortar (not personal basement, but like real commercial space and employees needing benefits, etc) vs in home basement space.

That's the part that bothers me.
Though...I wouldn't want the in home vendors to outcompete the commercial folks just because they have connections though!

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned in home vendors- I'm going to have to settle for those guys until I get into the wholesalers. I like the idea of helping the little guys, and oftentimes their livestock are more acclimated than wholesalers because their turnover is somewhat slower; and homesellers are cheaper than retail by far although as not rockbottom lock as the wholesalers out there.

Years ago I got a hold of the wholesale list from a wholesaler, WWW something.. back then I was in NY and would have had to pay air cargo, but now here just nextdoor to LAX I could just pick big lots up.. uggg, I never should have forgotten the company name nor lost the list as they were ready to sell to me; anyways from now on it will be homesellers who are buying wholesale and selling from their home for cheaper than retail. (Until I can get into at least see what the wholesalers prices are here @ LAX... to be like you said, floored)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
and then because you want to save a couple dollars soon there will be no more brick and mortar place's and you will be scratching your head wondering why their not there no more, supporting illegal business's doesnt help the economy or the trade.
there are a few stores that have good pricing still. but take into account their over head as well.

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Realistically speaking, no one is going to give you their vendors list lol. Stores charge money on top bc they have an overhead to pay and need to make a living. Try opening a store, then you should have no problem getting livestock at wholesale cost. After you open a store, open your list to the public, and count the number of days you stay open.

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REIT investor/flipper.. and since most of my disposable income goes to NOAA, REDD, & other projects overseas, personally chose not to reward upscale inflated commercial prices on our hobby such as those often found in, local signal hill & la LFS for example, where despite the $10,000+/mo rentals for those stores that don't bother to own their spot, and hi-tech tanks & water treatments, find fishes still get sick/ready to die during their stay at LFS tanks unlike generally during their stay in home tanks where they more often recover than at LFS

so far i've never had a fish or shrimp died within months when bought from homesellers.. i dont know how to describe it but home bought fish have so far always seems super hardened off, happy upbeat behavior from the get-go dunno if anyone else has notice that though =/

chris koci

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically speaking, no one is going to give you their vendors list lol. Stores charge money on top bc they have an overhead to pay and need to make a living. Try opening a store, then you should have no problem getting livestock at wholesale cost. After you open a store, open your list to the public, and count the number of days you stay open.

Could not agree more on what your saying, hard to stay in business with all the over head cost and insurance cost i wish all the most luck in world who are brave enough to invest in there own business

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: