aquanut92368

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
The company that I work uses a dry powder form of calcium carbonate. I am going to try and contact the supplier to determine the exact chemical makeup of the product. Has anyone ever tried or used a powder based calcium supplement? And if so, how did you add it? How would I determine the amount to mix? This may sound silly, but if I can save a little on additives, well....
Any comments or help with the exception of flames would be appreciated.
Kevin

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no chemist but here's my take on the situation. Calcium carbonate is insoluble, so maybe you would need to break it down with vinegar? The powder you have is essentially really fine aragonite (but very pure) and will have a tough time dissolving. There must be other reasons why not to use it or what you can do to use it because to my knowledge there is no calcium suppliment on the market using calcium carbonate. Look for calcium chloride at work, much better calcium source.

My 2 cents. Correct me if i'm wrong!

Coraltank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquanut92368,I use a powder based calcium suppliment.It's CaOH,in the form of pickleing
lime.Basically it's used to make kalkwasser.Mix 1-2 tsp per gal of water and slowly drip in your tank or sump.HTH

Joggins

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium Carbonate is 99% insoluble in water. I don't recommend trying a chemical reaction to make this powder soluble in water...you may convert it into an unusable or toxic form. Calcium chloride is good to a certain degree, and the powdered CaOH is great to make your own kalk. There are other ways to save money on your reef tank, and they depend on your setup! The only option I can think of with this Calcium carbonate powder (if you can get it for free and you REALLY want to use it) is that CaCO3 (Calc. carbonate) is slightly soluble in water, not completely insoluble. If you put a lot of this powder in a garbage can and then fill it with water, stir and let it sit, then measure the Calcium level, you will find that there is some calcium in the water. I can't vouch for the strength of the solution even after stirring and settling, but it will be present!

Good Luck!

-Stephen

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium carbonate, especially in small particle sizes, can be used to supplement tanks that have low needs for Ca++ and alkalinity. Aragamight is a commercial example. It adds substantially less Ca++ and alkalinity than an equal volume of saturated limewater will.

IT MUST BE DISSOLVED IN WATER PRIOR TO BEING ADDED TO THE TANK!

If you add it directly, you will nucleate CaCO3, and cause Ca++ and alk to drop.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: