NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
at what levels does Calcium precipitate in water.
I've been working on getting my tank back up to snuff (after my battle with brown star polyp)
I checked my alk, ca, and PH

PH 8.4
Alk 11.6
Ca 1346 PPM
Mg 1500PPM
I shut off my Ca reactor ( when running my effluent was 6.75 with a moderate drip)

mixing water as we speak to do a water change.

I do see white spots on glass and some rocks
Thoughts?

Airborneguy

Reefer till I Die!!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That calcium is pretty much off the charts if you are using the same scale as most tests. Hell my salifert test doesn't give readings above 500 (I just checked the sheet to make sure.) What test are you using which goes that high? Anything above 500 is a waste of calcium from what I have come to understand.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
That calcium is pretty much off the charts if you are using the same scale as most tests. Hell my salifert test doesn't give readings above 500 (I just checked the sheet to make sure.) What test are you using which goes that high? Anything above 500 is a waste of calcium from what I have come to understand.
my reading fro the salifert I had to refill the syringe and I added the 2 together.
yes I agree that the calcium is off the chart.
Although I haven't melted the ARM in my reactor It did go awfully fast
gonna leave the reactor off fr a few days do another water change and see if I can get the reactor dialed in again

MrAnderson

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
precipitation doesn't always mean snow. if you've ever seen white stuff on your powerhead impeller magnets or heater, that is "precipitation". basically, precipitation is the formation and growth of crystals and can actually happen at a very slow rate.

point is, i think your white spots probably are precipitation, however your high Mg is probably buffering the process a bit. contributing factors to abiotic precipitation: high pH, high temp, low Mg. that's why you see precipitation on heaters and impellers - those are localized heat sources in a tank. at what point does it happen? it's dependent on all those factors as well as carbonate hardness, so it's hard to say. however, i'd say simple observation trumps any chemical equation in this instance.

keep an eye on any impeller-driven pumps through this, i once had both powerheads in my tank seize overnight at the same time from old carbonate buildup, it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
precipitation doesn't always mean snow. if you've ever seen white stuff on your powerhead impeller magnets or heater, that is "precipitation". basically, precipitation is the formation and growth of crystals and can actually happen at a very slow rate.

point is, i think your white spots probably are precipitation, however your high Mg is probably buffering the process a bit. contributing factors to abiotic precipitation: high pH, high temp, low Mg. that's why you see precipitation on heaters and impellers - those are localized heat sources in a tank. at what point does it happen? it's dependent on all those factors as well as carbonate hardness, so it's hard to say. however, i'd say simple observation trumps any chemical equation in this instance.

keep an eye on any impeller-driven pumps through this, i once had both powerheads in my tank seize overnight at the same time from old carbonate buildup, it wasn't pretty.
thats what kind of alerted me to check the parameters I cleaned all my pumps after my Iwaki started to slow down.

40 gallon water change tomorrow I'll let it settle for a couple of days and re check

JoeV

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The lamotte test uses a calculation and you must divide the number by something. When I first used Lamotte I was off the charts as well until I realized the high number had to be divided by another number (not sure as I don't have kit with me). Please read Lamotte sight .. this will provide insight.

good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: