OakRaid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi .. this may be a couple of dumb questions, but will ask it anyway :)
I just set up my 55 gallon (live sand 60 lb, curred live rock 55 lb) running a AquaC Remora skimmer, and one small Rio pump (will be replaced, as soon as the new pump arrives) and also a Magnum 350 using the micron cartridge.

First question ... Most people say forget the canister filter, ok may do that but for now need the flow, until the new pump comes. My question is sense the Magnum is clear, just wondered if it would work to put some macro algae in there to help soak up nitrates and phosphates?? And if it would help the system .. how much light when I need to grow the algae in there?

Second question .. The tank has been set up for four days. The live sand says to ad fish right away, everything I read here says to wait.
With my set up should I wait...and if yes, how long??

I did test my water tonight (old test kits, waiting for new kits to arrive) (love mail order!! :( But anyway I got the following readings...
Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - .25 Nitrate - 10

THANKS, For the help!!

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome,
The reason people don't like canisters is that junk gets caught in the floss and rots causing algea issues. If yours is empty, it's pretty much just a mini sump (though probably a very expensive one), and if you want to use it for that, you're probably fine. I'll leave it to some one else to post on how to modify it into a refugium. I'm not experienced with that.

When to add fish depends on the system. If everything is cured and live, then sometimes you can get away with adding stuff right away. Otherwise, wait for the cycle to finish. When your Ammonia and Nitrites are zero, you're set. Some people still wait a week or two after just to be safe.

In case you haven't found this part yet, add fish to you system slowly. Try one fish per week max (unless it's a mated pair or something that absolutely has to added together). Give your system time to adjust. It's all about patience :)

zann

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im new to this also i was told to start the tank live rock only works because it has to cure still and the cycle will go along like it should .

also i was told you can cut up a shirmp and let it decae in your tank it will also start the process

i didnt do this and i put fish and stuff in the tank even though the fish and other things made it it was tough going.
mi love this hobby though and want to learn all i can.
i have had freah water for a long time i got it down no prolems with ti at all, but salt wat is a differant story for sure.

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do the shrimp thing, that can get ugly.

The reason we have live rock is that it has a huge surface area where nitrogen metabolizing bacteria thrive. "Cycling" is the initial process by which these bacteria first grow in an aquarium to handle the waste of your new pets.

Tank cycling mostly depends on the condition of the rocks n' stuff you put in initially. If it's cured before hand (many fish stores do this), then the bacteria have already grown and time you spend waiting for your system to equilibrate is minimal. I did this, and I never had any ammonia spikes (I still waited a couple weeks to be sure).

If your rock is uncured (like what you get from buying online or if the fish store just received it), then you have to go through the die off and the huge ammonia spikes as the bacteria slowly emerge from the center of the rocks and establish in your aquarium. It can take well over a month to complete this way.

zann

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just read a test on fluidized bed filters
it says once you get one set up and going you can move it to a differant tank and the cycle will not last long at all .

OakRaid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess using the magnum 350 clear canister filter for macro algae wasn't
such a great idea .. at least nobody here seems to think so (basing that on the nonresponse to my question)
thank you

Reggie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OakRaid

I am obviously in the minority on the issue of canister filters not only in this forum but a couple of others of which I am a member. Though I am not an advocate of either method a canister filter is what I use and it has been working fine for me in my situation.

Brian5000 is most likely very correct in advising you to go the sump method and rightfully so given his experience. However, I for one an not at home enough to monitor my aquarium as thoroughly as I would like and for that reason alone I chose to utilize a canister filter.

Case in point, using myself only. I work internationally and am gone for 60 days and then return for 30. The tank I have is a 180g FOWLER with approximately 220 - 240 lbs of LR. During my time here I am very diligent in water changes, testing and all that goes with the hobby in taking care of my tank and fish. This also includes changing out the filter materials twice per month. Now during the 60 days I am gone no one and I do mean no one touches the canister filter. Yes, absolutely right Brian is correct
... that junk gets caught in the floss and rots causing algea issues...
Also, my wife does not perform water changes during this time unless there is a nitrate spike. When she does it is between 20%-25%. Basically the maintence she provides is monitoring the different levels and adding make-up water.

To date I have either been lucky, good or this is just another method of careing for a tank. I do not know you will have to be your own judge of what I say and the opinion of others here. All I can say is this is working for me and until something unfortunate happens or it is proved without a doubt I am wrong then this is the method/avenue I have chosen.

Suffice to say if I was at home on a regular basis I too would have a sump/refuge. So there you have my side of the story.

IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've heard of using a canister filter as a mini fuge, but I've only been doing this for a couple years. I would think you'd want a macro algae that likes high flow, like gracilaria (sp?). The flow through a canister may be too high for even that, though. You could always throw in some live rock rubble.

As for canister filters themselves, though I don't use mine 24/7, I do use one. I think the secret is to keep it clean. These days I only use mine one week out of the month, but when I used it continuously, I made sure to clean it out ever week. When I used it with carbon, I'd also empty out the carbon once a week, rinse it off thoroughly, replace about 1/3 of it with fresh carbon, and put it back in. I never had a problem with nitrates. As a matter of fact, my nitrates went for 10-20 ppm to 0 after I started using the canister filter. Of course, this could have just been coincidence, but it definitely didn't cause a rise in my nitrates.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: