• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

heedicus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
I have two questions,
1 why is there a cap on the top of the T on the durso standpipe? I have it in my tank but didnt put the cap on, what is it there for?
Is there any purpose of putting carbon (i.e. hob filter with) on a reef tank?
thanks
tren

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 why is there a cap on the top of the T on the durso standpipe? I have it in my tank but didnt put the cap on, what is it there for?

Yes, its there to restrict airflow and prevent gurgling/burping as the water travels down sucking air with it.

Is there any purpose of putting carbon (i.e. hob filter with) on a reef tank?

Absolutely. Corals and the other living organisms in the tank (as well as things outside of the tank... see the reference below) all produce organic wastes that may or may not be cleared by a good skimmer. Regardless, carbon will help keep your water 'polished' (no yellowing) and if your corals are competing with one another for space it will help the rest to be healthy by removing any organic toxins they release.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/feature.htm

Wde

ReefLion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cap just prevents the gurgling noise from escaping out the top of the standpipe. It's a muffler. You drill a hole in the cap to prevent siphoning, which otherwise would cause a sucking sound where water enters the downward-facing input.

Carbon is generally a good thing. Pulls bad stuff out of the water.

Tim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: