tdhawk

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 77g reef, I initially bought a CPR overflow but it is just too loud . I want to have my tank drilled for a corner overflow. I'm using a Ecosystem sump which recommends 800-1000gph . The sump is directly below in the basement. Questions are how big of bulkhead, lfs is recommending 1.5" so the hole will be 2.5" ,is this too big ,my return pump(Dolphin 2100) can handle it , but I'm worried about tank strength. how far off the bottom of tank should it be, how wide and high is the piece of glass to create the overflow, or should I put bulkhead 4"-6" from top with a 90elbow and a strainer just below water level and forget about the internal overflow box altogether. Besides tank strength my biggest concern is noise. tank is 24"h This site has been a great help already Thank-you!

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never drilled a hole myself, but my return hole is 2" wide and the top of the overflow box is 1.5" from the rim of the tank. The hole is 3" away from the edge of the tank.

Is your tank already running? How do you manage to drill the hole if the tank is already stocked? I think you also need to find out if your tank can be drilled??? If your tank can be drilled, you will need to plan for 2 holes. One for going down the sump, and another for coming back from the return pump.

Don't worry about if your pump or sump can handle volume of the flow. The volume of water going down the overflow will always equal to the volume of water pumping up from the return pump.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with the tank manufacturer to make sure if your tank can be drilled. It may have had tempered treated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of your main concerns is noise, do NOT skimp on the overflow and just elbow a drain toward the water's surface. This will be loud!
The corner overflow is the way to go! :wink:
I would use a 1.5" drain, and a 1" return. If the bottom of your tank is tempered, just drill the back wall near the bottom.

Christian Schwalm
SkyLab Industries
www.wetdryfilter.com

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd suggest drilling closer to the top if possible if you're not going to be using an overflow similar to the AGA ones. If there is no "wall" dividing the tank from the overflow portion, a plumbing leak or failure could lead to the tank draining down to the point of the leak. If the tank is drilled higher, a bulkhead or plumbing leak won't drain as much of the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: