• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

themorningstar

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. my new 55 gal. tank has just completed cycling. my blue damsel has been breathing rapidly, it's not as active as it should be, spends alot of time hiding, not very interested in food(but still eats). but the thing that concerns me most is that it's turds are white and is excriting mucus, and sometimes it's stomach looks caved-in. water parameters are all normal. i feed it brine shrimp enriched with zoe and always offer dryed algea.
Does anyone know what this is??????
what do i do to help it?????
please help.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you're seeing but if the stomach is caved in the fish has not been fed very well in the past. I'd switch from feeding it brine shrimp to feeding it frozen mysis and Formula 1 or 2. Both are much more nutritional than brine shrimp. Also I'd soak the food in Selco or Selcon. I'm not familiar w/ what Zoe is exactly. Selco(n) is basically a fatty acid supplement that increases the fat content of whatever food you're feeding your fish. Your fish need this fat content. Also, what exactly are you referring to when you say you feed it dried algae? Is it sheets of dried algae like TLF Sea Veggies?

Shane

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would do is try other test kits or have your water tested at your LFS to make sure ammonia and nitrite levels are actually 0. FWIW, it's not necessary to cycle an aquarium with living fish, and in fact, is very stressful (and sorta cruel) to the animal(s) present during cycling.

My guess is that these symptoms are a result of either poor/toxic water conditions and/or possibly the stress of going through the cycle has amplified another problem (internal parasite/infection).

I agree with Shane that improving the fish's diet would be a good next step. Some medicated flake food might be a good precaution too. Also, double-check the water parameters (via other test kits, your LFS, etc.).

BTW, Zoe (Kent) is basically the same thing as Selco (American Marine), it's a vitamin/mineral supplement.

Zoecon (Kent) is basically the same thing as Selcon (American Marine) - a HUFA/lipid supplement.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: