• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ebbandflow

...like water...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are DI filters necessary in an RO unit? And, while I'm on it, what do you all think about the Coralife Pure-flo II Premium TFC Reverse Osmosis Water Purification system?

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I don't know it they are absolutely necessary but most units come with them already installed. I have one on mine and I can see the colors change after the water passes through it so I guess its gotta be doing something! The Coralife is a good unit. That was one of the first ones I owned but I broke it by accident during a move. I purchased it used from someone on RC and I had a for a good 2 years w/o problems.

ebbandflow

...like water...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok, Im getting a decent deal on that coralife so I think I'll get it. As far as I can tell it doesn't have DI filters. But as long as it worked ok for you I'll probably be alright.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Yes the DI is (arguably) the most important step in the filtration. It needs to be changed out bi-monthly or more often depending on your usage.

Bi monthly?

Your kidding right, you change out your DI resin cartridge every two weeks? How much water are you using per week? What is the TDS of your water before and after it leaves the RO membrane?

For my 65 gallon, I get about six months from the DI cartridge. I go through about 10 gallons of top off a week. And I do a five gallon water change about every two-three weeks.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My DI has lasted for a year, and it's only half used up.
I recommend the canister add on, not the all in one post filters, those restrict the water flow too much.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Yes the DI is (arguably) the most important step in the filtration. It needs to be changed out bi-monthly or more often depending on your usage.

I think he meant bi-annually. I dont think there is any DI that needs to be changed that often unless he's getting his water from Marine Park Bay :lol2:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
You should also get a TDS meter with your RODI. It's the only real way to tell your DI cartridge is used up.

I actually go without RO and just use DI.

I get about 300 gallons or so from a change of DI, and I don't waste 900 gallons to get that 300. I also don't have to wait a full day to fill my 20gal top off. It only takes about half hour. . .

I did buy my DI resin in bulk. For the price I paid each change is $5.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: