Fishy15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ive been researching all day for a solution to my rimless bowfront nano. The tank has no lid and it is hard to make a framed screen cover because of the bow. I was thinking, has anyone used just netting without any frames, maybe held down on 4 corners by 4 small hooks glued on the outside tank corners?

The bow makes any DIY cover really hard to make so i was wondering if i can somehow secure just the net over the tank. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have a regular rectangular tank with a rim but I was not happy with 2 frames I built due to the fact that I have a HOB skimmer so I decided to build a frameless cover with just a net and about 15-16 small self-advesive hooks from Lowes pointing downwards. Very easy and completely tight. The picture gives an idea how it is done. I'm sure you accomplish the same with a little bit more planning and cutting the net in a different shape than mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 697

ScubaDre

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Take the measurements or make a cut out of the top of your tank. Then cut it out with a plexi blade and sand or take measurements/cutout to an acrylic store to make an acrylic outline of the top of the tank. Use a simple hacksaw to notch or drill very small holes where are you need it pulled and simply sew it on tight with fishing line. Really not too much work

Last edited:

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I finally just made one for my 54bow. I used 1/2 acrylic and a router with circle cutter. I notched the screen as you would a window screen and pressed the 1/4" mesh in with screen channel plastic. This way its kept under tension.
p1801202791-4.jpg

Fishy15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
thanks guys. im going to see if i can try to cut the acrylic but the tricky part is the curve. If all fails, i might go with what bkstang suggested and just try hooking the net down using those small hooks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: