vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've been dosing Kalk with my top-off, does anyone do this as well? The problem that I'm having is my pH is 8.5. Is this too high? I add vinegar to the limewater to help with the pH issues but this sometimes causes algea to bloom. Is there a technique to keep the pH down while using limewater?

Also I've read most of the articles concerning limewater but nothing really addresses the issue.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I don't think that 8.5 is that high. Worse than high PH is large PH swings. Take multiple PH readings throughout the day to see how much of a swing you have. If your tank is staying somwhat steady at 8.5 I would not worry about it, I also wouldn't let it get much higher than that.

If you want to "fix" it you could put your ATO on a timer, and only dose at night when your PH is naturally depressed.

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
if you put your ATO on a timer, wouldn't your salinity rise during the day and drop back down when its topped off? That would cause a salinity swing.

I just started using Kalk with top off via ATO, I mix a batch of kalk with about 10 gallon reserve rodi top off water, it lasts me about a week and its loosely covered with a lid. Do you think mixing too much kalk top off water is a bad idea, since the potency should drop with time. Also I noticed that I got lots of white power floating around in my display after using kalk. What is the correct way to mix and use?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Its pretty stable at that pH. I just thought it was too high. I would like to stop adding the vinegar but then the pH would really shoot up.

I think that you are fine, as long as it remains stable. Adding vinegar is not that hard, and it is fairly inexpensive.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
if you put your ATO on a timer, wouldn't your salinity rise during the day and drop back down when its topped off? That would cause a salinity swing.

I just started using Kalk with top off via ATO, I mix a batch of kalk with about 10 gallon reserve rodi top off water, it lasts me about a week and its loosely covered with a lid. Do you think mixing too much kalk top off water is a bad idea, since the potency should drop with time. Also I noticed that I got lots of white power floating around in my display after using kalk. What is the correct way to mix and use?

START HERE

VJ&POOPS

Member-MR Best Reef Site
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Vance, dosing w/ your top-off may not be a good idea depending on our rate of evaporation.

Also pH at 8.5 is generally ok http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

My method is reverse to yours, I used dosing as a means of top-off, then again I don't really have a high rate of evaporation. 1 gallon mix of each: Kalk, Strotium & Turbo Calcium, [3 separate containers]

sapseven

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
check yur ph hour or 2 after your lights go out .. it should drop

if its the same in the day time .. try getting a small fan to blow air over the waters surface. seems to elevate ph

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: