LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any edible macros out there?

I'm pesco-vegan, and love nori even more than my AB tang does =D

Seriously though, people grow indoor herbs & veggies so can we grow nori in our refugiums, and eat it?

Personally I don't see why not; dont add anything to my reef except ca, iodine, magnesium, strontium besides whatevers in the synthetic salt mix.

Affordable Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Ive always fed my tangs Chaeto while they were in quarantine, and they readily eat it, though its not their favorite. Reef nutrition sells Gracilaria pacifica which you can buy live and grow out in your fuge, ulva is available through a number of sources. The issue is that your fish will probably eat it much faster than you can grow it.

I've had success using dried whole-leaf seaweed which when rehydrated is just like live to the fish and much easier to keep and feed.

Affordable Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Oh, gotcha. Then, yes there are a few different dried seaweed products available at places like whole foods. Its the same products we feed to our fish. I eat them all the time, but be warned if you eat them dry you run the risk of eating tiny snail shells. Ask me how I know.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
maybe you can put a fresh water tank next to your sw and put a rice patty in it. then you can have a whole meal out of your tank.
like mentioned i don't think anything will grow that fast.

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
You might be able to grow Hijiki - it is a coastal seaweed. The others like arame are deep sea I think and grow very large. Wakame is temperate I think. Nori is made of a red algae called Porphyra.
The problem would be quantity. Kind of like raising fish to eat in your home aquarium, you probably don't have the room to grow enough seaweed for a meal.
You could try and experiment - apparently all seaweed is edible and none has ever been found to be poisonous to humans.

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx pB I'll definitely look into acquiring those species for potential cultivation/harvesting

With any luck I will soon have an outdoor saltwater operation with free warmth, lighting, and possibly some local saltwater/phytoplanktons(will have to look into the legality of that) for growing fresh healthful marine salads.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: