• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have always had fresh water tanks (mainly African Cichlid's). I had a 30 gallon tank and my fianc?e had always wanted a box fish so I decided to start my first salt water setup, I made the mistake of going to two local aquarium stores to get started. The first place said to use the extra 50 gallon bio-wheel filter I had, add the salt, then live rock, then fish and be done with it. So I left the store with the salt, added it and thought this was easy. I then went to another place who said they were dead wrong and I needed the skimmer and filter as well as something to move the water (forget the name). The rig they were trying to sell me not only seemed expensive but was also used as it had some nice build up on it so I didn't trust them. So now I have a tank with the salt added and ready to move forward and I need help from people I trust...

So the questions:
1. I don't have much room and if I need a new filter and skimmer would like something compact and simple. What do you suggest?
2. What else do I need (keeping a small budget in mind)?

Btw, I'm obviously new here and tried to search but didn't find much. Thanks for the help all!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Welcome to MR :)

Questions for you so that we can help you better...

The first question is have you ever used copper as a medication in the tank you are using now for SW?

Do you have an Ro/di unit to make water or are you planning to use tap water? (really bad idea)

Is this going to be a fish only tank or a reef tank?

What type of lighting do you have?

Please tell us you haven't purchased the box fish yet ( i like your gf already! :))

You do not need a skimmer and a filter - just the skimmer is required. Some folks also use a filter (you don't want to use a bio-wheel, they tend to add nitrates to a tank.) In reefing the Live Rock is actually the 'filter'.

A hang-on-back skimmer sounds like it will be a good fit for you. You can often find used ones in our Marketplace. Look at the For Sale Threads, or post a Want To Buy thread.
I would suggest a Remora Hang on Back skimmer.

Unfortunately the SW hobby tends to be kinda expensive, most especially if you plan to have corals in your tank, so best if you tell us your plans for the tank so we can best tell you what you require and what items can be purchased down the line. :)

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
So I have always had fresh water tanks (mainly African Cichlid's). I had a 30 gallon tank and my fianc?e had always wanted a box fish so I decided to start my first salt water setup, I made the mistake of going to two local aquarium stores to get started. The first place said to use the extra 50 gallon bio-wheel filter I had, add the salt, then live rock, then fish and be done with it. So I left the store with the salt, added it and thought this was easy. I then went to another place who said they were dead wrong and I needed the skimmer and filter as well as something to move the water (forget the name). The rig they were trying to sell me not only seemed expensive but was also used as it had some nice build up on it so I didn't trust them. So now I have a tank with the salt added and ready to move forward and I need help from people I trust...

So the questions:
1. I don't have much room and if I need a new filter and skimmer would like something compact and simple. What do you suggest?
2. What else do I need (keeping a small budget in mind)?

Btw, I'm obviously new here and tried to search but didn't find much. Thanks for the help all!
dont be discouraged but i too just switched from cichlids to salt and all you need is a rodi filter to make thae pure water and then you add the salt dont use tap water!!!!! this is a bad mistake that will cause all types of issues you need to sit back relax and breathe a bit it takes time and a bit of cash but it will be awesome in the long run!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to MR :)

Questions for you so that we can help you better...

The first question is have you ever used copper as a medication in the tank you are using now for SW?

Do you have an Ro/di unit to make water or are you planning to use tap water? (really bad idea)

Is this going to be a fish only tank or a reef tank?

What type of lighting do you have?

Please tell us you haven't purchased the box fish yet ( i like your gf already! :))

You do not need a skimmer and a filter - just the skimmer is required. Some folks also use a filter (you don't want to use a bio-wheel, they tend to add nitrates to a tank.) In reefing the Live Rock is actually the 'filter'.

A hang-on-back skimmer sounds like it will be a good fit for you. You can often find used ones in our Marketplace. Look at the For Sale Threads, or post a Want To Buy thread.
I would suggest a Remora Hang on Back skimmer.

Unfortunately the SW hobby tends to be kinda expensive, most especially if you plan to have corals in your tank, so best if you tell us your plans for the tank so we can best tell you what you require and what items can be purchased down the line. :)

Hey Kathy, thanks for the fast reply!
- No copper medication was ever used, I think a few cycles ago in the tank I had an ick outbreak but that was the only problem I have ever had. Though, when I moved to salt I cleaned the tank using hot water which was recommended to me to be safe.

- No Ro/di unit for the tank. I use a two stage filtered tap water setup. The tank hasn't cycled yet since I have no fish but all my levels are perfect (nitrates, ph, etc).

- I already have dolimte substrate on the bottom, was going to had some live rock (maybe 10 pds), a box fish and maybe one or two other fish that live well with him or her and maybe some shrimp? Nothing has been purchased yet and this tank can be developed around the box fish which seems to be a must.

So you are saying to yank the bio-wheel filter (and any filter) in place of the Remora (or like) unit? Then just have the live rock? Seems doable? Do I need anything else?

Thanks so much!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok first things first, The wheel will be a problem. When I had that biowheel on my 29 and 55 g tanks the parameters and my tanks were like a roller coaster. After I lost them things stabilized. Take the wheel off and just run the filter with the carbon/floss cartridges only. I would also advise you to change the cartridges regularly every 2 weeks. If it has 2 cartridges alternate the changing of them by a week. Left side weeks 1 and 3 and right for weeks 2 and 4 for example. That seemed to work for me as well. The skimmer is a tough fit for you right now, I remember from my experience that the remora worked well but there are quite a few other skimmers that hang on the back of the tank that are better now. Eventually I lost all filters and added a hang on back refugium and kept the skimmer going. Adding power heads for circulation is important as well but that can be added after the tank cycles. Do us all a favor and post up some pics of the tank and the equipment you are using and also post up your parameters. Telling everyone your parameters are perfect doesn't help us to help ou. Showing the numbers helps us do that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first things first, The wheel will be a problem. When I had that biowheel on my 29 and 55 g tanks the parameters and my tanks were like a roller coaster. After I lost them things stabilized. Take the wheel off and just run the filter with the carbon/floss cartridges only. I would also advise you to change the cartridges regularly every 2 weeks. If it has 2 cartridges alternate the changing of them by a week. Left side weeks 1 and 3 and right for weeks 2 and 4 for example. That seemed to work for me as well. The skimmer is a tough fit for you right now, I remember from my experience that the remora worked well but there are quite a few other skimmers that hang on the back of the tank that are better now. Eventually I lost all filters and added a hang on back refugium and kept the skimmer going. Adding power heads for circulation is important as well but that can be added after the tank cycles. Do us all a favor and post up some pics of the tank and the equipment you are using and also post up your parameters. Telling everyone your parameters are perfect doesn't help us to help ou. Showing the numbers helps us do that.

Thank you! I took out the bio-wheel last night (nothing was growing on it yet). I will also take the levels again tonight when I get home along with the photos.

Regarding the skimmer, what do you recommend? When I go online and look at particular ones they never show me what I need exactly? Is this any good? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ASX6Q/?tag=reefs04-20

If there is a small (non hang off the back one), I may be able to use it. I have the tank on a built in book shelf that has a cabinet below it, I drilled a 2" hole to rule wires up and if needed can put a small tank and hoses under the cabinet.

Thanks again!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
10 lbs of rock is good start but you may want to up that...closer to 25 or 30. Some rock is more dense then others and weights vary...but definetely more then 10 lbs is needed.

Also add it all at one time...adding it a little at a time may disrupt parameters in the chemistry or cause a mini cycle.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Hi and welcome to MR .

first rule is nothing good in this hobby happens quickly.

I hate to say this but you first purchase should be a 5 stage rodi filter to use to make up your water.

this is the one I use http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi.html . I know it sucks but after you get one of these you should drain all of your water and replace it with proprely filtered make up water.

that will get you off to a proper start. good luck!

one more tip. ask here and do research before you buy anything else. in this hobby you can go broke buying things twice because you didnt do the proper research.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: