Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to NYC in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if there are any reef stores? in the Manhatten area in particular since that is where i will be. Off a subway stop would be nice. thanks

jcac27

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best one in the city that I know of is on 38th between 2nd and 3rd. It used to be on 8th st, but recently moved.(Closer to me!)
Its decent, but overpriced in my opinion.
James

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wished it was back on 8th street since i'll be in the madison square garden area. Thanks, i mite check it out.

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Mike after reading the post I went there after work today. The store is ok. His fish are nicely kept and has three or four well setup reef tanks (although I have seen better). Prices are a lil high (39.99 for baby Hippos, 16.99 for Algae Blenny, 3 for Astrea snails). But its the only store in the city that I know of. He has a really cool Oceanic tank with a center overflow I wish I had ordered when I got my 120.

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pezcado, wouldnt i walk (from MSG) past macys (on 34th n 7th) to 38th and then turn right (east) over to 3rd? i think im getting the "streets" and "avenues" mixed up?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, Youwould end up walking almost the whole way across manhatan.

You cound take a subway train to Times square, transfer to the S (shuttle) to grand central. Then walk east to 3rd, then south to 38th st.

b

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When It used to be on 8th, I used to walk over and check out the tanks on my lunch break. The only time I was to the 38th st store they just got in a whole lot of fish, and most were still in the bag.
-side note- When I was there I got to see what a 400w MH ballast smelled like after EXPLODING in the fixture. Black gooey tar all over the inside of the fixture and Thankfully on the glass top of the tank, not in it.
So they were very short with answers to my questions that day...

Mike, there is a 34th st crosstown bus for $1.50 each way (exact change only or metrocard) Then walk uptown 4 blocks.

B

Pezcado

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not all that far from the garden. If traffic is moving half way decent I would just jump in a cab, it won't cost but a few dollars from there. If traffic is crawling then Bingo's directions sound good.

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Common guys all this talk of subways and buses forget it. Just walk. I took the 6 train down from work and when I was done at the store I walked to Penn Station and hopped on NJ Transit. The walk only took 15 min in rush hour traffic.

Pezcado

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that's quicker than you can drive a single block during rush hour, especially trying to go crosstown.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: