• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi guys/gals, hoping for some feed back on what to do with this leather. I purchased it approximately 4 months ago, and it was doing fine in my 120. Ever since I broke down my tank a week ago, and transferred everything to the 155 bow, this one coral has not been doing well at all. My thoughts are that while it was in the tote it must have come in contact with another coral, or anemone that stung it. Yesterday I removed a piece that had deteriorated, and some of the flesh around it. Today it appears that another finger is on its way. Should I just throw it out? Or is there a way of saving it?

Attachments

• Sick Finger Leather 003.jpg
    Sick Finger Leather 003.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Sick Finger Leather 004.jpg
    Sick Finger Leather 004.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 197

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I had the same thing happen to a leather after it was cut by a peice of live rock when doing so maintenance. The leather completely withered away, except for some spots by the base. These quickly regrew, and I had six or seven leathers where there had been one. I don't know what caused it to wither away, but my research at the time lead be to beleive that it was a bacterial infection of some sort.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i think some flow will help it heal, not to much.

you can frag it if you like. cut a piece or several pieces off and chuck the rest. leathers grow in no time.

or just leave it alone and see what becomes of it. i would run some carbon since it may be releasing toxins.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
dont use any kitchen knives or utensils for your corals.. cause then they should be dedicated coral utensils... go get your self a razor blade or a scissor that will do the trick.. were gloves and eye protection :bigeyes:...

Recalling aarons zoo fragging incident when he got zoo juice in his eye :banghead: always use the proper precautions when fragging something... it aint worth ur eyes and or ur health ;)...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
dont use any kitchen knives or utensils for your corals.. cause then they should be dedicated coral utensils... go get your self a razor blade or a scissor that will do the trick.. were gloves and eye protection :bigeyes:...

Recalling aarons zoo fragging incident when he got zoo juice in his eye :banghead: always use the proper precautions when fragging something... it aint worth ur eyes and or ur health ;)...

Thank you for the word of advice. I will definitely follow your recommendations. razor blade, gloves, and eye protection, if I can gather up the nerve to cut into it. Funny, I have no problem fragging house & garden plants, but I'm not so certain I can do this.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thank you for the word of advice. I will definitely follow your recommendations. razor blade, gloves, and eye protection, if I can gather up the nerve to cut into it. Funny, I have no problem fragging house & garden plants, but I'm not so certain I can do this.

its almost the same thing but just very slippery :splitspin :tongue1: good luck with ur endeavor...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: