SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, im lookin' for a summer project and I think i want to build an acrylic reef tank.

has anyone done it before? advice? places to get my plastic? EXACTLY what kind of acrylic do i need?

This would most likely be UNDER 24 inches tall (prolly closer to 18-20 inches).

i have tools (or at least access to tools) that i would need, and have reasonable mechanical tools and know-how.

Thanks guys..

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to post in the DIY forum, and acrylics is the resident expert on this matter.

I did it before, and it is a lot of work. Definite not fun if you have a 6 yrs old who try to get close to your while you try to keep the boy away from the toxic fume and chemical.

Additional advice: wear a glove and eye protection. Worked with organometallic chemicals (very toxic) when I was in academia, but common sense of wearing glove and eye protection is still a good idea when working with solvent like WeldOn.

Acrylic type is casted. Slightly more expensive, but it is stronger.

Measure twice. Then measure twice. Hate to start to put the panel together and then forget to figure in the thickness of the seams :oops:

You may want to practice on a smaller box and be familiar with the use of pins to get a bubble-free seam before tackling with bigger project.

Ask the admin to move this thread or put a shadow thread on the DIY forum if you want.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: