saf1

Reefer
Trying to get an idea of what these are. They don't look like the normal hydroids which are typically the little stick things with whiskers, etc. These look more like orange button polyp type things that are just growing like crazy in the tank.

Its a 100 gallon that is in a recovery mode. About a year ago it was a full reef with elegance and frogspawns - both very large and didn't really leave much in the room of other corals. So it was just rock, a couple fish, and sand - under 175W MH's and acintic vho's. While on vacation the power went out, air never came back on, and when I got back the tank was toast. Everything dead. After cleaning up the mess the rocks and sand remained until the tank got under control again and I waited to see the sand come back to life, etc.

Since then, these things I guess survived and are growing all over the place. Only thing in the tank honestly is pair of clown fish, yellow tang, and royal gramma - and a large queen conarch snail.

I'm in the process of setting up the tank by replacing the pumps and firing back up the skimmer. Just not sure what to do with these things at the moment. If they are good or bad - but one thing is for sure, they are covering my rocks from head to toe...

Thanks for any info. Long time member, but away from the hobby after I lost my tank. Just getting back into the swing of things.

P6241080_2.jpg

saf1

Reefer
Hmm...odd.

I just went to another computer and it shows fine - different browser and all. Wonder what I'm doing.

Thanks for the heads up - let me check real quick. I can't expect much help if my image doesn't show, now could I - lol.

A

Anonymous

Erm, I'm just seeing a picture of a Yellow Tang and some common or garden Zoanthids. :?

saf1

Reefer
The Escaped Ape":31c6tpnh said:
Erm, I'm just seeing a picture of a Yellow Tang and some common or garden Zoanthids. :?

Thanks Tom,

That is what they are. I took the name you provided and matched it up and it is. I just wasn't sure to be honest. The tank is still sort of just running on auto pilot other than feeding of the fish and normal water chantes - which now honeslty are about 1 month apart other than top off. After I lost the tank I just cleaned the mess up, changed water real quick and let it sort of recycle on its own. Once the water parms got back to normal and I saw life still in the sand - I added a couple fish and those things started to come back and are growing like crazy.

I scratched the acrylic pretty bad though - so I think this is going to become a sump tank at some point while I start planning another display made out of glass.

Thanks again, have a good day.

Nemo2007

Experienced Reefer
Got to many? Sell them! I bought a much smaller colony on a bit of live rock for 40$ at the LFS.

A

Anonymous

Pictures from above are difficult. But it looks like a dandy colony you got there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: