Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS are doing very poorly after the FWE. And it would be nice to swap down to 250W halides to save electricity. I've kinda lost interest in SPS anyhow (probably due to them not doing well).

Good idea, or stick with SPS? I'm on the fence.

camaroracer214

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stay with sps...blah to softies.

although i do like the lps route. a tank full of acans looks amazing.

look at this guys tank:
SeanM":2pxle80b said:
I recently broke down my 180 and set up this 29. I've been pleased with it so far, so I thought I would post some pics. This is my first venture into a small reef tank, hopefully it will go as well as previous tanks. It is going to be an lps/zoa tank. Most of the corals came from my 180 with the exception of the addition of some acans recently (thanks BAA). Here are the pics...

Full Tank Shot
fts-1.jpg

Blastos
blastos.jpg

Acans
acan4.jpg

Acans
acan3.jpg

Acans
acan2.jpg

Welsophyllia...we have had this coral for 2.5 years now
welso.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments welcome...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stony tank and a softie tank (with a couple stonies that I didn't notice as chips which grew out). The stony tank is quite a bit more animated as stuff is sweeping around, however I don't know if it's just that I'm a masochist but I like the stonies better, more zen like... softies got a colt coral that I've cut back (fragged) to a few inches, and within 6 months its 18" tall and about as wide as my leg.

I love both tanks though, I however switched from 4-54 t5s to 2-t5s + 2 175w halides that are only on maybe 4 hours a day (energy wise its very comparable) but those halides really do bring it up a notch, the T5s made it look a little too dull (hard to explain)

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my tanks before I started doing the SPS stuff. I think I kept at it until I got polyps out on the SPS, and I went, wow, that's what I was after.
Why don't I feel rewarded ?

mutley29

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic and we'll be able to offer a better opinion :wink:

Only you would know for sure Len, what does your gut tell you, ever felt this way about your tank before?

a change is as good as a rest they say

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go softies. Do an entire tank of xenia and green star polyps.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to let my corals decide :) If the SPS die, then I will likely replace them with LPS. I will still probably save spots for SPS (up top) where LPS wouldn't fare so well anyhow.

I've decided I'm too lazy to rewire my lighting ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS tanks are cool but I lost interest after having some gigantic colonies die off last year and it led me to taking down my tank.

I am restarting with a smaller softie tank and am going for a few species transplanted around the tank instead of the sps 'fruit stand' look which I had before.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1gn4bt25 said:
I think I'm going to let my corals decide :)
That's pretty much how I deal with my softie tank, nature will win, I've lost most all my ricordia due to rhodactis encroachment, but c'est la vie. My RBTA is rubbing up against some nicely colored zoas, again... I have blue clove looking polyps (miniature versions) that somehow propagate all over the damn tank (either tuxedo giving them a ride or they get into the water column) and they grow everywhere, even on coraline on the back glass.

It really is an interesting mix though, get rid of the SPS, send them to me, I'll keep them company. However if you had AEFW keep them ;)

pcardone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you go softie It is pretty hard to go back without completely starting over. things continue to keep popping up.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, Len. 90% of reefers are probably in the same boat. Enjoy the transition. Restocking is always fun.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go softie Len, Euphylia are the best bang for the buck anyway - they are hardy, they grow fast and there's movement to boot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pcardone":uzj2xbam said:
can we get a pic before you change?

Preferrably a blurry , shaky, washed out .mpg of said tank that will give you plausible deniability for years to come and RDO conspiracy theories for years to come.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: