wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it?
can you keep one of those units running in your living room without any health risk?
ozone after all is unhealthy.

wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i take it carbon would take care of ozone huh?
how much carbon and every how often should the carbon be replaces?

JohnL

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some info from the Ozone King, A. Theil
icon_biggrin.gif

http://acmepet.petsmart.com/fish/mfira/13.html

DKKA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I got out of the Theil link is that it is very unstable and breaks down very quickly. So it is unlikely it would cause you any problems unless you found a way to produce and inhale large amounts.

FWIW, my Spa salesman told me it breaks down and becomes harmless within miliseconds of being exposed to the air....but then maybe he was just trying to sell me a hottub with an ozonizer. (yes, I bought it!)
Dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any amount that you can smell can do significant oxidative damage. Ozone is very dangerous to your lungs and eyes and respiratory passages, even at very low concentrations. Used properly, an ozonizer should be safe. However, they can be a fire hazard if they malfunction, in addition to being a health hazard. Personally, I would never use one for these reasons, even if they were good for the aquarium. Many people (including me) believe even a properly functioning system does more harm than good.

Mark420

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DKK, Thats funny, I'm a pool guy and am around ozone all the time we use it for spa's and pools, as far as know it can be dangerous but, it needs to be in larger amounts. I've done inside pools with BIG ozone units,they even have air pumps on them, anways these are safe.
I've been told to run carbon in a top container on the skim. Yes I use ozone
icon_cool.gif

wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i inhaled some air coming out of the skimmers top (there is an ozonizer working with the skimmer) and a while later i wasnt feeling too good. It felt weird when i breathe deep and my eyes sorta bothered me.
Dont know if its the ozone or if i got one of "those" letters in the mail. I rather hope its the ozone... hehehehe.

Is there permanent damage to the body or does it go away after a while?

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inhaling the air coming out of your skimmer is just a step down from drinking the skimmate with a straw. There's some nasty stuff in there being not only skimmed but also released from the water as you agitate and aerate it. That's probably the reason you didn't feel good. Sounds like when I blew out a tube on a homemade tank polishing filter after it sat for an hour after being used. I almost threw up and was sick for hours after wards with a splitting headache due to the stuff I filtered out decaying very quickly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: