Alex_78745

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you may have. He's about 2 1/2 inches across, very shy and so far I've not seen him nip at any coral or take one of my snails or hermits. Any ideas?!
UNK_crb2.JPG

UNK_crab.JPG

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Alex_78745 ]

ronjon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no idea but he is a cool looking little fella. hope your lucky enough to find out that he will be ok to keep.

gl,
rj

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me awhile to figure out that was a picture of a crab 'cause the picture was so big and close up. With all the genus and species of crabs it's possible you'll never get a positive ID. My general rule is leave it, target feed and watch for any damage and only then remove it.

Regards,
David Mohr

SnoopDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one pointed looking sucker. I have had a ton of hitchhikers but that is a pretty one. Mine are always dull and ugly looking !

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two in my tank, without any problems, they're more active at night, had a major incident with my tank a few weeks ago,electrocution, and havent seen either one since.....miss the little buggers

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has claws bigger than its body. There are only a few functions that would require claws to be bigger than your body. One of which would be squishing little fishy's heads. I personally wouldn't trust it, i bought a "reef safe" emerald and it trashed my goinopora. Pitty its such a lovely crab. Maybe you could try putting temptation in its way, test it out before it does anything sereous.
icon_confused.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of them that looked very similar. At night they tried to catch my chromis. I had a heck of a time removing them. I still have one left, must be the smart one...

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beBeat me to it James.was gonna say it looks like the results of a mating between an urchin and a hairy crab.

Bob

william snyder

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In several fields that I am aware of, the phrase "better safe than sorry" applies, such as bomb detecting, hazardous waste spills and does that water have alligators? I might add hitchhiking crabs with big claws to that list.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: