DaveD

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Can anyone explain the units of measure found on Jungle's "Quick Dip Hardness/Alkalinity" test?

The color-coded results chart is labeled "Total Alkalinity/Buffering (KH) ppm - Saltwater" and ranges from 0 to 300 (yellow to blue), with 180 to 300 highlighted as "ideal" and the rest "not desired."

To my knowledge, the ideal range for alkalinity stops far short of 300 ppm KH.

Units aside, the "desireability" factor appears to be accurate. For example, my 230-gallon reef aquarium, which routinely reports high alkalinity levels from various tests (I now own four), registers at the high end of Jungle's "ideal" range. It's just that "300 ppm KH" doesn't equate to any usable value for the purposes of comparing against test results from other kits or against the recommendations of so much literature on the subject.

I have telephoned Jungle's support department and asked for an explanation of the units and range reported by their alkalinity test and an equation for conversion to "standard" ppm KH. I was told that neither could be provided because nobody on staff has the knowledge necessary to answer those questions. When asked to speak with a lab technician, I was told that Jungle does not manufacture the test kits, but resells them for a third-party. Of course, the identity of that third party is confidential. Okee-dokee....

Anybody have any ideas? Without further explanation, the numbers appear to be purely arbitrary. Spinal Tap comes to mind: "...but this one goes to eleven!" ...or 300, as it were.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: