• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i think i am all set to put rocks from the curing tub into the tank now. so do most people put them on the sand, i have about 4" of aragonite? or should i prop them up like i have seen some do? any real difference or is putting on the sand asking for big trouble later? tia

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock sits directly atop the sand and has been doing fine for close to 10 years now. IMO, the reason to elevate rocks above the sand with PVC or acrylic rods is based on the principle of reducing detritius buildup around the base of rock. Few vacuum their sandbeds nowadays (and I don't recommend it), so the practice has reduced practical use.

kparton

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I set up, I put the rocks on the glass bottom and then put down sand. This time I'm trying it with rock on top of sand. I have a question of Len. Have you had any burrowing fish like a jawfish? I would like to have one, but they say they can be a problem because they will topple rockwork that is on top of the sand.

mountainbiker619

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time i have ever placed my base rock directly on the glass surface is in my 120g FOWLR that contained numerious large wrasses that burried themselves in the sand at bed time. At first I just had the rocks on the top of the sand layer, only to have the wrasses knock down the entire rock formation due to the sand shifting from them digging their beds in the sand at night.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about it, it seems more dangerous to place the rocks directly on the glass, no? Even if you use some of those wonderful acrylic rods or whatever like in that post on these forums ... you have to think about weight distribution. When you sit the rocks on the glass, it doesn't distribute all the weight evently. The rocks are actually probably resting on like 3 or 4 points, sharp craggy outcroppings. Think of how many pounds of live rock/base rock you're going to stick in. Do you really want 50 pounds of rock all focusing its weight on just a few points in the center of your aquarium, which is already pressured from water (8.5 pounds per gallon) as well as sand (another 100 pounds maybe).

Seems like a good way to break out the bottom glass. Setting the rock on the sand distributes the weight evenly. If you take care to set them up in a way that will reduce the chance of a tumble in case of a shift, I think this is the way to go.

But then again, I am still setting up my first reef ... no experience.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kparton":1b5g7t1n said:
Have you had any burrowing fish like a jawfish? I would like to have one, but they say they can be a problem because they will topple rockwork that is on top of the sand.

I've only had a pistol shrimp and a tyrant Twin-spot Wrasse (removed a few years ago) and they didn't cause any problems. I've had more problems with bursting Valonias causing rockslides then I have with burrowing crittlers. The way I have the rocks formed, it's hard to cause a rock slide from the base up because the bases are so wide and mammoth in weight (big rocks on the bottom).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks are actually probably resting on like 3 or 4 points, sharp craggy outcroppings.

I think the glass is plenty stong enough for this to not be a concern. Once the rock is buried with sand all underneath, the weight is then aleved from those pressure points as well.

Putting the rock on the glass, or on stilts of any type, is a good measure against having an avalanche in the future. I would recommend not putting the rocks directly on the sand. Many have done so without problems, but I DO attribute this to luck.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the rocks in heavy-side down :twisted:

You can always go halfway. In other words, take your heaviest rocks and squinch them deep into the sand, let's say 2 inches down into your 4 inch sandbed. I have had an 80g with a 4 inch sandbed running for almost 3 years now, with nary a rocky problem.

Again, it pays to plan ahead...take your time, and make sure the rocks are solidly placed. And use common sense when purchasing livestock for your particular set-up.

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":nsvkzw6o said:
I think the glass is plenty stong enough for this to not be a concern. Once the rock is buried with sand all underneath, the weight is then aleved from those pressure points as well.

Louey,

You'd *think* that the glass is strong, but after the bottom of my Oceanic cracked, I know better... They never did figure out what it was, but were leaning towards a chip in the glass left from when the tank was drilled for the overflows.

Luckily I was home when it happened, and Oceanic made good on their warranty...

It made a sound like an old wood frame window being slammed... {shudder}
I will always hate that sound, especially when followed by the sizzle of salt water and electricity...

My thoughts here? Add some sand, place the rocks on top of it, then fill in the sand. Rocks on glass or sand on glass? Not sure it really matters. Either way, it is still a lot of weight.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts here?

Nope. You are probably right and there was a flaw in the construction of that tank. That sucks.

Weight is weight, and as long as it is placed in a manner that does not chip the glass, it will not cause the glass to break because of pressure points, IMHO.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: