mic_1011

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
i have a jbj 28g hqi with mh 150w and a power compact retrofit wit 2 18w pc bulbs! pc's suck to me and i wanted to know if retrofitting t5's would be possible and easy??? would it be as simple as splicing the endcaps of for the pc's and attaching t5 endcaps or is it more complex???

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You would need the proper ballast for the T5's as well. Also not sure how much space you have in there to fit T5's that you'd likely have to get in what is sold as the 18" length (actually 16.5..but then add the endcaps)

Why do you want to get away from the PC's?

mic_1011

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
thanks for the fast responses. figured i can't use the pc ballast! pc's suck to me. i don't like the color that mine give. the blues aren't the same, no color pop!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You may not like the color, but i bet your corals love the light they put out.

Why not give some thought to adding a few blue LED's instead for the pop you want?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

mic_1011

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The mh is definately doing justice for daylight! But I don't see any colors with that alone and the pc is dull! I threw on an old t5 I had laying around with just the actinic and WOW! It's like night and day! (No pun intended). I picked up a gold torch the other day and the gold just popped in the store. I bring it home and under my lighting it just got lost in the rock. T5s on and it looks as it did under the ai's at the store!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: