actiondan16

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about a very confusing topic. What kind of Lighting would be the best for a 30 gallon (36X13X16) Tank? I want to include SPS Corals in the tank. Would Metal Halide make the tank too hot?

JTW

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no exact answer to your question, but here are some thoughts.

If you want to keep sps, many aquarists (myself included) would use a 175 -10,000K metal halide. Normally these have @ a 2' spread, so that extra 3" on either side will not be a big deal. Yes, this will add heat to the tank so you must use some sort of fans (maybe computer) to cool the area above the tank if you put the lights in a canope. You can use a pendant type fixture if you would like.
Your tank is not very tall, so you don't have to rule out other types of lighting such as power compacts or vho fluorescents. If you use these types you will still have to use fans if you use a canope.
Lights are not cheap, so you would be well served reading up on the subject before you buy.
J.

clk2609

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JTW is right on! i would do the 175W MH with 2 fans, both blowing in toward each other, but if they are in a canopy be sure there are vent holes on top of canopy so heat can escape.

some people use 6500K and supplement with PC actnic, up to you.

do your research and you will be reading for days on this topic, but better to know before hand.

good luck

stevearthur

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the depth of you tank I would suggest against using the two MH bulb be cause this will cause greater evaporation of you salt water. Many times MH are suggested for tanks 18+ inches in depth. I would recommend 3 compact flourescent 96 watt or 3 VHO 96 watt bulbs. Either direction will give you about 9.6 watts/gal. Also the compact flourescents are cheapter to operate and the bulbs are cheaper that the MH. The VHO bulbs are also less expensive to operate (not in comparison to the power compact flourescent) and the bulbs are cheaper that the MH and the PCF.

Check out http://www.hellolights.com/

MH bulbs are between $59-89
PCF $28-35
VHO $23-25

JTW

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that although MH bulbs cost more each, you would only have to replace one bulb. With power compacts you have to replace 3. Thats 3x30= $90 replacement cost.
Also, with metal halide you get those great shimmer lines. :wink:
Either system can raise the temperature of your tank, and that is (one thing) that affects your evaporation.
Either system can work, but (trust me) you can put (1) 175 MH on a 30g.
J.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: